Ham radio install.

shawn.m

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convert, 7.5 Dodge Ram
So I am search and rescue as is my wife. Also my wife is a chaplin. My truck is a rolling radio and rescue vechile. It's handled.

The other night we rolled up on a accident in the mustang and realized no radio. We didn't even have hand radios. So unprepared! Sucked beans. Got me thinking.

I am also asset officer for our SAR team so lots of radios and antennas in my shop.

I do have magnetic mounts but I really don't like them. Move too much.

Played around with radio antenna mounts today's. Shorty fits and misses rear glass. Mid length hits window at full open. I can put a piece of rubber on antenna so no metal on glass.

I also have a half wave that is longer. Hits top first at full trunk open. Living out in boondocks means if you can you want the longer antenna.

I also need to think about where to mount radio body. Doing a remote head d710ga radio setup. Think I can do a suction head mount on top of dash. Or mount it passenger side low. I have usually mounted.mine higher on dash or to the rear view mirror. A higher mount also means driver or passenger can watch radio.

20220505_180020.jpg

20220505_180028.jpg

20220505_180916.jpg

20220505_181408.jpg
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I remember seeing a Honda CR-X in my youth that had a really tall whip antenna attached to the rear corner (I don't recall if it was on the bumper or a mount from underneath). Made the car look like a life-sized RC car. Probably not an option you want to entertain! Is it possible to get a multi-function antenna that would handle the car radio as well? Then you could swap out the fender mounted antenna.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Shawn,
I'm also involved with your issue. You should look into a LIDO mount. https://www.lidoradio.com/
I do this professionally as well. Not sure if your focus is UHF or VHF, but I would try 1/2 wave antennas as they are ground independent by default. 1/4 wave usually sucks after RG58 type losses. For max gain, typically 5/8 wave gives best performance but will need adequate ground plane to perform well. PS...the trunk lip mounts typically give poor ground contact as they usually bite into the edge of the trunk where the seam sealer is.

OP
OP
shawn.m

shawn.m

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
I remember seeing a Honda CR-X in my youth that had a really tall whip antenna attached to the rear corner (I don't recall if it was on the bumper or a mount from underneath). Made the car look like a life-sized RC car. Probably not an option you want to entertain! Is it possible to get a multi-function antenna that would handle the car radio as well? Then you could swap out the fender mounted antenna.
that was probably a CB antenna. The VHF antennas are pretty slim
multi function not preferred - dedicated antenna is desired

OP
OP
shawn.m

shawn.m

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
Shawn,
I'm also involved with your issue. You should look into a LIDO mount. https://www.lidoradio.com/
I do this professionally as well. Not sure if your focus is UHF or VHF, but I would try 1/2 wave antennas as they are ground independent by default. 1/4 wave usually sucks after RG58 type losses. For max gain, typically 5/8 wave gives best performance but will need adequate ground plane to perform well. PS...the trunk lip mounts typically give poor ground contact as they usually bite into the edge of the trunk where the seam sealer is.
Thanks for the link. The mustang is tough for the seat bolt mount as their is so little room to the left of the passenger seat front left bolt.

The black antenna in third picture is a ground independent one if i remember right. Also 1/2 wave. I have several spares that I can cut and tune to the mount once its in. I know I wont get perfect ground plane. A couple members run the antennas off the spare tire mounts with no ground plane.

We do primary VHF here in California.

Attached a picture of my truck. Drilled a hole in middle of roof and mounted it.

20190131_155029.jpg

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
No mobile install will compete with that location. That’s the best way for max coverage assuming a metal roof for ground plane.

Spirit GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Shawn,
You should contact Dr. Jack Nilsson Owner of COMPACtenna. He's a Genius. He lives in Cleveland, Ohio. He will design a custom antenna for you with half the footprint of normal antennas. They also have the same takeoff angle and power rating of a full size antenna. Contact him at [email protected] . Just tell him what you want and he will set you up.
Sponsored