GT350 engine oil seperators

OP
OP

chief135smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 w/track pack
I would like to see one installed in that engine bay. I like the bare bones not plastic cover look on the car, but I do think all that rubber hose would look much better with some braided hose and Air Force Navy (AN) fittings!
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
What? Many including me are running 302S breathers on our GT's and Bosses with no issues.
The benefit of using PCV is that you get better ventilation of crank case vapors due to vacuum being pulled from the intake. I'd rather keep that functionality and use a catch can than leave the port open with a breather.

I guess in the end it probably doesn't make much of a performance difference (other than emissions concerns).

I would like to see one installed in that engine bay. I like the bare bones not plastic cover look on the car, but I do think all that rubber hose would look much better with some braided hose and Air Force Navy (AN) fittings!
I don't need an engine cover on the GT350, but it would be nice to get some cleaner cable management. Many of these photos look a bit like a rat's nest under there. Not a big deal of course.

-T

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
What? Many including me are running 302S breathers on our GT's and Bosses with no issues.
A quick search turned up something that looked like a Peterson catch tank. Is that right?

I had one on my vintage racer. It worked ok, but I still got an oil mist under the hood from it. I modified mine a bit to reduce that.

Most of these things don't look like they should cost what they do... Haven't seen all that much thought put in to the designs.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
I don't need an engine cover on the GT350, but it would be nice to get some cleaner cable management. Many of these photos look a bit like a rat's nest under there. Not a big deal of course.

-T
BC RACECAR !!! [emoji12]

Jk but I prefer the tougher look of the GT350 engine bay. I had the cover off my 13 and took it off my 15 too. I have the black coil covers on order and a black billet boomba oil cap on the way.
This was my previous setup but sold the Ford Racing coil covers and Hawks raw billet oil cap. (Not picture)

d7f6338dad699c3b98c24363e0b8bba9.jpg

Last edited:

TraKWeapon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack On Order
A quick search turned up something that looked like a Peterson catch tank. Is that right?

I had one on my vintage racer. It worked ok, but I still got an oil mist under the hood from it. I modified mine a bit to reduce that.

Most of these things don't look like they should cost what they do... Haven't seen all that much thought put in to the designs.
Peterson yes but it's a breather not a catch can. No oil under the hood. It's not going to fit on the GT350's though. The catch cans like the Bob's and JLT help but you still get oil in the intake. The breather is the only way to keep the oil out of the intake but it's not smog legal. ;)

What's interesting about the Bob's catch cans on the Track Tour cars is that they are even there. I posted the first photo of that back in early August. I was at Sonoma Raceway for a track day and a yellow GT350R was there. Two weeks later at the historic races I talked to a couple of the vehicle dynamics engineers, these are guys that developed the suspension on the GT350 and not the marketing guys you saw at TT, and they insisted the voodoo does not have the same oil ingestion problem the coyote does. If that's the case why install the catch cans? :shrug: Anyway I'll be installing a Bob's on mine the day it arrives. If I could fit my 302S breather under the hood I'd use it.

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
The air that passes in and out of the engine needs to be controlled/measured for the engine management to function properly.
It's already accounted for. All the PCV and fresh air is measured at the MAF right after the air box.

Breathers work, but having the negative pressure of the PCV system is nice to have. There's a reason people put vacuume pumps on their NA, gasoline engines.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
An oil catch can is a great idea, especially if you track. This is due to the high rpm, hot, elongated engine operating conditions. Lots of oil flaying around. More blow-by accumulating (there is some even on well-built, new engines; pressure build) and pressure build from the hot, flowing oil. Compound that with the fact that OEM PCV systems are only so good at separating oil from air when going into the intake.

Comparing my car, that has an oil separator on my engine, with the Ford Racing tune, to my buddy's car, with no oil separator on, with the Ford Racing tune, I never get detonation issues. He does.

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Bob's oil separators are really nice, quality pieces.
What are inside of these things (I mean the Bob's versions specifically)? I haven't seen an internal picture. Is there some sort of internal baffling, some convoluted path for the air??

Last edited:

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
What are inside of these things (I mean the Bob's versions specifically)? I haven't seen an internal picture. Is there some sort of internal baffling, some convoluted path for the air??
Here is the UPR (image from Lethal's website) - couldn't find something similar for the Bob's version:
upr15catchcan.jpg

-T

Sponsored

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Wow! that looks pretty elaborate looking.

We have a "Oil Catch Can" on our Jeep SRT8 that really works great! Doesn't seem that elaborate. Though the amount of oil it catches, before entering the intake, is amazing... or disturbing depending on how you look at it. I empty a few ounces every few weeks and in between oil changes. This mod is recommended on the 6.1 & 6.4 Hemi's. Though it should be noted... it does NOT pass California SMOG inspection. I would assume the same for others?

TraKWeapon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack On Order
Bob's oil separators are really nice, quality pieces.
The Bob's is a really nice piece and what I like about it compared to the others is the in line is below the out line. Gravity is your friend. Ford could have used any of the available separators and they chose Bob's. That's good enough for me. I originally had the JLT on my GT and I was still getting oil in the intake. Again if I can figure out a good breather I'd go that route again. The Multimatic GT350R-C does not use a breather or separator but they also use a dry sump setup and all smog related equipment is removed.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The benefit of using PCV is that you get better ventilation of crank case vapors due to vacuum being pulled from the intake. I'd rather keep that functionality and use a catch can than leave the port open with a breather.

I guess in the end it probably doesn't make much of a performance difference (other than emissions concerns).
-T
It's already accounted for. All the PCV and fresh air is measured at the MAF right after the air box.

Breathers work, but having the negative pressure of the PCV system is nice to have. There's a reason people put vacuume pumps on their NA, gasoline engines.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the explanation and it makes sense that only air that will end up in the combustion chamber needs metering. I can understand the motivation for venting to the atmosphere (avoid detonation and save $$), but I would go with the environmentally kind method. Not that I'm crazy into environmentalism - I wouldn't be interested in the GT350 if I were. I just prefer to follow the law if I can without too much pain.
Sponsored