• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT vs Dark Horse

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I wouldn't recommend a DH. I knew from the beginning it was not going to be a special car to warrant the extra price. Not to take away from those that have them in anyway. IMO a DH doesn't even match up to a Mach 1.
GT is a way better value and car. There is nothing on the DH you can't add to a GT and you can definitely build a GT to be better than a DH for cheaper.

The only thing a DH has over the GT is the way better manual trans.
Sponsored

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
I wouldn't recommend a DH. I knew from the beginning it was not going to be a special car to warrant the extra price. Not to take away from those that have them in anyway. IMO a DH doesn't even match up to a Mach 1.
GT is a way better value and car. There is nothing on the DH you can't add to a GT and you can definitely build a GT to be better than a DH for cheaper.

I think there are only 3 scenarios taking a DH over a regular GTā€¦A) you plan on tracking the car and need the additional oil coolers keeping the car off limp mode B) you prefer the sturdier Tremec over the chinese MT82 and A10 that shifts slow and overheats on track C) you plan on supercharging it where forged rods might be beneficial Otherwise save your money and get a GT and enjoy the car for what it is a heavy cruiser with great V8 sound and the option to row your own gears āš™šŸ‘IMHO of course šŸ¤£

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Whats funny the people with DH's act as if a Mustang GT with the PP are shopping carts when it comes to twisties. The only real advantage I would say for the DH is the fact you get the tranny/diffy coolers. If you want to leave the suspension stock the DH will have an advantage. A lot of the advantage of the DH HP is the Trofeo's. I don't even think the Tremec anymore is a major advantage with the DH anymore. The Getrag MT82D4 got the kinks worked out of it back in mid 2019. A set of 4.09 gears will get you darn near the gearing of the Tremec. Not to mention the MT82D4 for the S650 also had some more refinements done to it.

What I don't like about the DH is the fact you only get one hideous color choice for the interior of that nasty Indigo Blue and a limited color palette for the exterior vs. the GT.

Even if I had a DH I would want to switch out the springs for something a tad lower as the DHs still sit too high. A Mustang GT with a nice suspension setup and wheels and tires will be no slouch around a corner.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I usually only see this much hate when a bunch of obese, ugly girls see an attractive, sexy girl walk by ... šŸ˜†

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
The DH is a bad ass car for those wanting more than a GT. The GT is a bad ass car for those wanting more than an Ecoboost. An Ecoboost is a bad ass car for those wanting something more sporty than a typical car. Pick your lane. Each can be modded.

Somebody posted this. DH vs GT

More HP
Forged Connecting Rods
Different Rod Bearings
Different Cams
Specially Balanced Crank
Different Engine Tuning
Different Spring and Shock Tuning
Tremec
Oil Cooler
Transcooler
Different Aero
Gurney Flap
Bigger Sway Bars
Unique Wheels
Dark Horse Badging
Dark Horse Projection Lights
Titanium Shift Knob
Black Larger Exhaust Tips
Exclusive Approach Lighting

OP
OP

faser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang/cadillac
Whats funny the people with DH's act as if a Mustang GT with the PP are shopping carts when it comes to twisties. The only real advantage I would say for the DH is the fact you get the tranny/diffy coolers. If you want to leave the suspension stock the DH will have an advantage. A lot of the advantage of the DH HP is the Trofeo's. I don't even think the Tremec anymore is a major advantage with the DH anymore. The Getrag MT82D4 got the kinks worked out of it back in mid 2019. A set of 4.09 gears will get you darn near the gearing of the Tremec. Not to mention the MT82D4 for the S650 also had some more refinements done to it.

What I don't like about the DH is the fact you only get one hideous color choice for the interior of that nasty Indigo Blue and a limited color palette for the exterior vs. the GT.

Even if I had a DH I would want to switch out the springs for something a tad lower as the DHs still sit too high. A Mustang GT with a nice suspension setup and wheels and tires will be no slouch around a corner.
Interesting indeed about the gearing. Didn't know that the Tremec had deeper gears than Getrag MT82D4, and if 4:10s are needed to equal the Tremec then it has about a 10% advantage over the Getrag.
10% you can feel for sure.

flattrkr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I get that. We are in Bonita Springs(North Naples) area. Drivers here are the absolute worst I have ever seen. So many from NY and NJ during the season that don't have a clue but are ridiculously aggressive on the road having no regard for anyone but themselves.
Rode motorcycles for over 30 years in SW PA but would not do so here. Horrible drivers, horrendous accidents every day.
Tough choice for this area.
My spec on a GT comes very close to low level Dark Horse territory so I will likely go that route but there are very few available here, probably need to shop a 500 mile radius.
Have you tried Tamiami Ford in Naples. I just checked the website and they seem to have some. Some are ā€œ in transit ā€œ, but others appear to be in stock.
As you probably know, they are a large dealership and service the Collier County Sheriffā€™s fleet.

Klipshpoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse HP

Well, once you click the options of Magnaride with active exhaust on a GT you are starting at a $57K car. You're not going to have too many fun tickets left to make up the difference even if you get a discount. Plenty of auto none HP darkhorses out there in the low 60s.

OP
OP

faser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang/cadillac
Have you tried Tamiami Ford in Naples. I just checked the website and they seem to have some. Some are ā€œ in transit ā€œ, but others appear to be in stock.
As you probably know, they are a large dealership and service the Collier County Sheriffā€™s fleet.
Yes, I am going there this coming week. Looks like they have a nice selection of GTs and a Dark Horse. Coconut Point Ford is close by but does not have anything too intersting.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Interesting indeed about the gearing. Didn't know that the Tremec had deeper gears than Getrag MT82D4, and if 4:10s are needed to equal the Tremec then it has about a 10% advantage over the Getrag.
10% you can feel for sure.
Loved them on my S550

onaccountof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
- 2024 Dark Horse -
I get that. We are in Bonita Springs(North Naples) area. Drivers here are the absolute worst I have ever seen. So many from NY and NJ during the season that don't have a clue but are ridiculously aggressive on the road having no regard for anyone but themselves.
I drove over to Estero yesterday for the day, and I concour on the drivers in that area (ft Myers, Naples, Bonita springs (forget about the parking lots) Hate the town driving there, but my dad lived there and so I've been going over there for many years.
I live on the east coast I and did have a nice ride over there in my DH. I had a '19 ecoboost convertible premium which I drove over there all the time, but, imo, I enjoyed the ride over in the DH better, it just seemed more solid, connected to the road better (if that makes sense).

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I think there are only 3 scenarios taking a DH over a regular GTā€¦A) you plan on tracking the car and need the additional oil coolers keeping the car off limp mode B) you prefer the sturdier Tremec over the chinese MT82 and A10 that shifts slow and overheats on track C) you plan on supercharging it where forged rods might be beneficial Otherwise save your money and get a GT and enjoy the car for what it is a heavy cruiser with great V8 sound and the option to row your own gears āš™šŸ‘IMHO of course šŸ¤£
There was only 1 time a car went into limp mode, haven't seen or heard of 1 again. And you can add better coolers if needed.
I agree if you are wanting a manual that the Tremec is better. Not sure where you are getting the auto shifts slower than the manual...LOL
You can supercharge the GT safely to 800whp+ so not sure how much benefit is there with the DH. If there was the DH Whipple would make a lot more power than the GT.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I think there are only 3 scenarios taking a DH over a regular GTā€¦
donā€™t leave out the museum. Now behind this curtain is an extremely low mileage factory special, first time front facing ā€¦.

OP
OP

faser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang/cadillac
donā€™t leave out the museum. Now behind this curtain is an extremely low mileage factory special, first time front facing ā€¦.
Cool to see a '24 manual convertible GT in your signature. Good play Man. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Reactions: Zig