• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ford Aerodynamics

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
OK, I have an update, but it's only half the answer we have been looking for:

According to Jonathan Gesek, we can close off those openings without it having any effect on the performance of the vehicle or any of its systems. These are NOT related to aerodynamics, brake cooling, or anything related.

My co-worker is supposed to see Jonathan's boss something this weekend and will hopefully (and finally) get an answer on what purpose those holes serve.
Sponsored

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury

According to Jonathan Gesek, we can close off those openings without it having any effect on the performance of the vehicle or any of its systems. These are NOT related to aerodynamics, brake cooling, or anything related.

My co-worker is supposed to see Jonathan's boss something this weekend and will hopefully (and finally) get an answer on what purpose those holes serve.
This is great news and we really appreciate the info. Good to hear that it is safe the close off the openings but like you mentioned hopefully you can find out the rest of the story:)

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
I don't see why closing the openings behind the front wheels would cause any issues. I closed mine off from day one and my whole front clip didn't fall off.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Maybe not intentionally related to aero, however the unintended f1 insipred wheel well aeroish tunnels do demonstrate an ability to capture and collect.

Is the wind tunnel pic / image a simulation or is it actual of production (err um with the wheel well aero) and/or will it (wind tunnel image) need to be redone with it blocked off in order to demonstrate no effect?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe not intentionally related to aero, however the unintended f1 insipred wheel well aeroish tunnels do demonstrate an ability to capture and collect.

Is the wind tunnel pic / image a simulation or is it actual of production (err um with the wheel well aero) and/or will it (wind tunnel image) need to be redone with it blocked off in order to demonstrate no effect?
I don't know. All I can yell you is the S650 areo engineer said it can be closed off.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see why closing the openings behind the front wheels would cause any issues. I closed mine off from day one and my whole front clip didn't fall off.
I don't think you've been paying attention to the thread.

We weren't sure, so I asked the S650 Engineer.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I don't know. All I can yell you is the S650 areo engineer said it can be closed off.
While encouraging to hear, it will be interesting to see the progression of the remedy if/when applicable/ recommended.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
What is the S650 Coefficient of Drag?
High as they chased downforce over drag ...

As for the comment on rusting out the frame ... what frame ? it's a unibody.

As others have said everything is done for a reason as it costs money to do that we just don't know what it is, could be to save money elsewhere.

i'd hope they had a team of engineers not just one guy (lol)

ICE teams are small these days and most of the talent has gone elsewhere, which is sad now that the ICE is making a comeback just with different fuels.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While encouraging to hear, it will be interesting to see the progression of the remedy if/when applicable/ recommended.
No one suggested a remedy. Just said it was safe to block it off.

Darkness24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt Ordered 2024 Dark Horse Premium
Alright guys I really don't give a damn right now about the why how where what I care about is the undeniable damage this opening will cause!

Last edited:

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Do it...just DO IT!!!