First Mustang, new to tracking, where do I get started

GregR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Recently purchased a tuned and modified 2019 GT Premium. It will be a weekend driver for me, plus I'm interested in tracking it. I live in Virginia, VIR is about 2 hours from my house. I've done some research but I'm not coming up with anything solid; how do I get started with tracking, are there clubs I can join, etc.?
Sponsored

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Greg,
In this area you should look at Summit Point as well as VIR.
clubs which run at VIR and SP include Chin Track Days, Hooked on Driving, SCCA, NASA, and Track Club USA. Also check out motorsportreg.com to find events and organizations.

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Take a NASA Hyperdrive if you want a single session taste and get a feel of the HPDE set-up. Instructed session for 20ish minutes.
Might not be worth a 2 hr drive to VIR though.
Plenty of links and First track day prep you can read through.
You will be looking at $1000 for full weekend with entry fee, track insurance and fuel.. without the general consumables along the way.
Is your car PP.?

Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

GregR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Mine has the GT Performance Package and the larger front Brembo brakes

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
In that case, you have a car which is much more prepared than stock. Braking, Cooling and Handling.
Top 3 needs for a track / HPDE car.
With simple brake fluid flush and change - Enough Pad to last (min 50%) - Summer Tires - Recent Oil change... The car should be ready..
With Open Mind, willingness to listen and learn, plenty of fluids (hydration) and a few basic tools - Jack, Stands, Tire pressure gauge, Torque wrench (wheels), Oil top off, Chair... You should be ready.. :thumbsup:

KrayZJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Recently purchased a tuned and modified 2019 GT Premium. It will be a weekend driver for me, plus I'm interested in tracking it. I live in Virginia, VIR is about 2 hours from my house. I've done some research but I'm not coming up with anything solid; how do I get started with tracking, are there clubs I can join, etc.?
Dominion Raceway is in Thornburg, VA. They have the "Ladder of Speed" that helps you progress on their track. I've also done the SCCA Track Night in America there, which was awesome. Both the "Ladder of Speed" and Track Night in America are affordable, and anyone can do it. Make sure your Tires, Fluids and Pads are in good condition.
Sponsored