• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Explain the 1,000 mi oil change to me

kenkroop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt a10 2024gt a10
Thanks for sharing. My first oil change was at 850 miles. Your results show me that I made the right move .Next change at 3000 with Pennzoil ultra platinum.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Thanks for sharing. My first oil change was at 850 miles. Your results show me that I made the right move .Next change at 3000 with Pennzoil ultra platinum.
I know this is a matter of preference but I guess there's no reason I can't go 1500 or even 2000 miles on the factory oil before going full synthetic? Basically I'm thinking I'll change the oil two times in the first 5K miles and then at 5K intervals after that unless I'm way off base on my thinking?

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
You could go until the oil change monitor comes on. That's what happens with most new cars.

The point of changing it at say 500 or 1000 miles is you're getting all the crap in the oil out instead of letting it stay in there until 2500

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I've owned or leased 15 or 16 new Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles over the past 18 years alone. I've had some vehicles that I've done first oil changes at ~1K miles, while many have just gone by the IOLM. I've had plenty of oil analyses done by Blackstone Labs. Bottom line, I've NEVER had an oil related issue on ANY of these vehicles. Never. So don't be scared or pressured into changing too early and don't feel like you're wasting your money if you do change early. It's ALL good.

Last edited:

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
That's quite a swing in additive packages between samples.
The viscosity looks low in both cases for a 5w30 it's more like a 5w20 / 0w20 (the latter is oddly higher at 100c)
The viscosity at 40c is far more useful than 100c
What oil did you put in at the first change ?
Was it a GF-6 oil ?

Fuel content is usually the major dropper in viscosity, which can also be picked up in the flashpoint.

Edit - Reading back if you changed to PUP GF6 then flashpoint is on the money for normal, viscosity would of been 10.3. when new which is a little on the low side for a 5w30 but doesn't explain the factory oil at all.

Last edited:

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
That's quite a swing in additive packages between samples.
The viscosity looks low in both cases for a 5w30 it's more like a 5w20 / 0w20 (the latter is oddly higher at 100c)
The viscosity at 40c is far more useful than 100c
What oil did you put in at the first change ?
Was it a GF-6 oil ?

Fuel content is usually the major dropper in viscosity, which can also be picked up in the flashpoint.

Edit - Reading back if you changed to PUP GF6 then flashpoint is on the money for normal, viscosity would of been 10.3. when new which is a little on the low side for a 5w30 but doesn't explain the factory oil at all.
First oil change was Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, so yes GF 6.
Sponsored