Sponsored

Duratec 37 Builds

Wes B.

Threads
Reaction score
Who out there has built up a 2011-2013 V6 Mustang? And what successes or failures have you had?

6 months ago, I bought my first Mustang. After many hours of research, I concluded that a 2011-2013 V6 model would be perfect for me. Regardless of trim and engine option, the plan was to build the car to 500+ hp. It's a tad more difficult to do this with the 3.7l V6 than the 5.0l V8, but I was determined.

Within a week of taking ownership, I purchased a ProCharger D1 centrifugal supercharger and an SCT Flash Programmer. The extra 150 ponies were lovely, but the car was still kind of a dog with the 2.73 gears. Went to Summit Racing, and ordered a bunch of Strange Engineering products -- 3.90 gears, 33-spline axles, C-clip eliminator kit, and a Posi unit. 3 days and one LONG night later, they were installed and the difference was night and day. The car now had power everywhere, and it was able to accelerate like none other. I debated stopping right there, but naturally I wanted more power. I only needed 45 more horsepower to reach my goal of 500+ hp.

After talking with some professionals, I realized I needed quite a bit to get to where I wanted to be while allowing for maximum reliability and overall excitement. I wanted to do all of the rest of the mods at once, and it took me about 3 months to save up enough for them: BBK Full-Length headers, Bassani X-Pipe, Borla XR-1 Sportsmen Mufflers, 80 lb/hr Siemens Deka Fuel Injectors, McLeod RST Twin-Disk Clutch, 205/55-R17 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Front Tires, and 295/55-R15 Mickey Thompson ET Rear Tires. I tossed the work off to my mechanic, and he wrenched on the car for a few days installing everything, tweking the supercharger for more boost, and then tuning the car to run like a daily driver should. Once the work was done, we took it for a 20 mile test ride. I wasn't expecting a huge difference, but again the difference was like night and day -- 75 more horsepower, new tires (tires that are designed for performance), and a better sounding exhaust do change the car quite a bit.

For a street/strip daily driver, this car is awesome, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar success with this particular powertrain.
Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Not many people mod the V6 models, they mainly just buy the V8's.

OP
OP

Wes B.

Threads
Reaction score
Not many people mod the V6 models, they mainly just buy the V8's.
I know, but I'm curious to see who has and what they've done to their V6's.

C'mon Wes B........we need pictures.
I figured someone would ask. I'll get some up later on today after work and whatnot.

I'm also really curious to see if anyone has used Hellion Power Systems' Single Turbo System or adapted a Twin-Screw or Roots-Type Supercharger to their V6 Mustang.

Diggitydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GHIG GT Vert
I bought a 2012 with a V6 after hearing such good things about the engine. The engine is solid but in short I'm ready to just move to the V8. To me it's more than just the V6 or the V8, it's all the associated externals to the engine. Drive shaft, brakes, suspension. The V6 cars just aren't setup for the power adder that the 3.7 liter can make. It can be done but the question is "should it be done?"

I was planning on putting a supercharger on the V6 but after realizing that the V6 driveshaft is basically a piece of junk and the brakes are barely passable on the V6 as well as the suspension setup I have decided to move into the V8 with a Track Pack. If that doesn't work for me I can build from a much better base than the V6.

Don't get me wrong, I think the V6 is a great engine but so much has to be done around it to make the entire setup work the way you would want it's just not worth it to me. I spent a lot of time wanting the V6 to be better than the GT with a few tweaks but reality finally set in and it's time to move to the GT.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Wes B.

Threads
Reaction score
After many trials and tribulations, I cannot seem to figure out how to get my pics from my Picasa web album to here. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just made an album within my profile here.

Here's the Mustang right when I bought it.
picture.jpg

Here's the Mustang with the Procharger D1.
picture.jpg

OP
OP

Wes B.

Threads
Reaction score
I bought a 2012 with a V6 after hearing such good things about the engine. The engine is solid but in short I'm ready to just move to the V8. To me it's more than just the V6 or the V8, it's all the associated externals to the engine. Drive shaft, brakes, suspension. The V6 cars just aren't setup for the power adder that the 3.7 liter can make. It can be done but the question is "should it be done?"

I was planning on putting a supercharger on the V6 but after realizing that the V6 driveshaft is basically a piece of junk and the brakes are barely passable on the V6 as well as the suspension setup I have decided to move into the V8 with a Track Pack. If that doesn't work for me I can build from a much better base than the V6.

Don't get me wrong, I think the V6 is a great engine but so much has to be done around it to make the entire setup work the way you would want it's just not worth it to me. I spent a lot of time wanting the V6 to be better than the GT with a few tweaks but reality finally set in and it's time to move to the GT.
The driveshaft has held up to everything I've thrown at it. If it breaks, I'll probably get a stronger, custom-made one.

The brakes are the next order of business for me. Yes, they do suck, but they haven't proven to be a big enough issue...yet.
Sponsored