• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dealer Test drive refusal?!?!

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Henry McCarty (September 17 or November 23, 1859 – July 14, 1881), alias William H. Bonney, better known as Billy the Kid, was an American outlaw and gunfighter of the Old West who is alleged to have killed 21 men before he was shot and killed at the age of 21.
So EVERY person under the age of 21 should be treated as a potential murderer?

I don't understand how you're trying to talk your way out of the stereotyping you did.
Sponsored

VRYALT3R3D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Anyone who thinks a potential customer should spend $40K to $80K (or more) without test driving is being nothing short of unreasonable.

And stereotyping people based on how they look - too young - why is that OK? Should we ban others from test driving, too, because of the color of their skin because we believe they have a higher propensity to steal? Come on ...
Your point is valid but the dealership isn't obligated to offer a test drive. After all, it is their inventory. I actually never ask to test drive anything and usually they offer it to me before asking.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
So EVERY person under the age of 21 should be treated as a potential murderer?

I don't understand how you're trying to talk your way out of the stereotyping you did.
When was the last time you handed the keys over to some kid?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be exact? One week ago yesterday, to my 21 YO daughter.

And if she went to a dealership to shop for a car and was denied a test drive because some old curmudgeon didn't trust "kids" test driving cars before spending $40K or more on it, I would tell her to tell the old curmudgeon that he can pound sand. Then leave.

Sorry, stereotyping potential customers is just a flat-out asinine move. It's a car, not heart surgery. That's why dealerships and people carry insurance, too.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Hey guys,

I built my dark horse online about 100x.. and decided to goto a dealer that has 1 in stock locally, it's black, everything which I'm not a huge fan of, even black calipers... but decide to just go and look at it. Ya never know.. maybe go home w it afterwards instead of waiting 9 months to be built... I really want Atlas Blue metallic, premium package, non HP package, 10 speed and blue calipers, this is my vision!!!
So I get to dealer and want to look at stang, and really want to test drive it to see how it feels, especially the recaros which I hate.. but I'm open minded lol. I ask salesman for test drive and he flat out refuses, goes on about some dealership policy...
I have never had any ford dealer refuse me a test drive on mustangs before. I've test driven GT500s and my Roush stage 3 car before i bought, Mach Ones and even my Raptor before i bought... I even driven the Raptor R..
So I explain to him that I am not willing to drop $70Gs on a visual only, I need to drive the car, maybe just go around the block, not a 5 mile test drive. He blatantly tells me No... I respectfully walk away and tell him forget it, done deal...
Has anyone ever had a Ford dealer refuse a test drive before? I mean I drove up in my new F150 Raptor and stated numerous times that I have a sincere interest in there DH and def not a tire kicker.. I'm shocked... saddened actually.

Anthony
I can see that you cant testdrive certain Porsches or Ferraris , Lambos because some of their cars are rare and go to collectors who want to keep them virgin to sell at a profit later But regular cars no testdrive especially to a guy like you being a repeat customer having bought expensive Ford products…Its an Insult and I would Never give this dealership my business again…They should have a demo and let people get a feel for it to make a yes or no decision and sell these cars as demos later ! Especially for the $70-80 grand these cars cost today which is a lot of money for the buyer demographics that used to buy ponycars like Mustangs…

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be exact? One week ago yesterday, to my 21 YO daughter.

And if she went to a dealership to shop for a car and was denied a test drive because some old curmudgeon didn't trust "kids" test driving cars before spending $40K or more on it, I would tell her to tell the old curmudgeon that he can pound sand. Then leave.

Sorry, stereotyping potential customers is just a flat-out asinine move. It's a car, not heart surgery. That's why dealerships and people carry insurance, too.
I would hazard to say ‘my’ does not equate to ‘some’ in the ‘rando’ kind of way inferred.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would hazard to say ‘my’ does not equate to ‘some’ in the ‘rando’ kind of way inferred.
Your opinion is duly noted.

But it's irrelevant. I'm not a car salesman trying to sell cars. Try again?

Radiant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ecoboost Convertible (ordered), '18 Ecoboost
That's kind of the business model of a car dealership, isn't it? At least my local dealership, the salesperson I've been working with is always out giving test drives. They were coming back from taking someone who couldn't have been older than 20 for a drive in a GT on the day I placed my order.

My vibe check on this situation is that the dealer probably already has buyers lined up for the Dark Horse and those buyers don't want miles on it. That I can understand, if it came in as a custom order, original buyer cancelled, they've got other buyers lined-up, and they're just working out the financial details with a guaranteed sale.

rrbrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I'm in my 20s and as a software engineer I have more than enough money to be able to afford a brand new GT. I went to several dealerships before ordering my car and I could tell a lot of them didn't take me seriously because of how I look. All of those dealerships lost a sale.

Not everyone has to wait until they're middle aged to buy a 40k+ vehicle. Stereotyping is one of the worst parts of the dealership model and why I can't wait for them to be a thing of the past.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in my 20s and as a software engineer I have more than enough money to be able to afford a brand new GT. I went to several dealerships before ordering my car and I could tell a lot of them didn't take me seriously because of how I look. All of those dealerships lost a sale.

Not everyone has to wait until they're middle aged to buy a 40k+ vehicle. Stereotyping is one of the worst parts of the dealership model and why I can't wait for them to be a thing of the past.
Still green behind the ears, you break it you bought it. Since it’s private property and as long as they don’t leave the lot do they even need a license?

OP
OP

Monte87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 Raptor Atlas Blue
Was the car in the showroom? Did it look perfect? Was it staged?

Sometimes an anal dealership is not a bad thing. Means they have been treating the car like their baby, which is exactly like how you will treat it.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for letting you test drive but sometimes their are other themes at play. I am sure you are aware of some of the posts on here about spacers being left on suspension, under body strakes missing, crooked spoilers... I want a dealer who respects the car and prepares it with care.
No, car was outside in the elements. Done w them and him.

Radiant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ecoboost Convertible (ordered), '18 Ecoboost
All of those dealerships lost a sale.
I'm glad you voted with your wallet. The dealership I went to placed my order, exactly as I wanted, they didn't ask for a deposit, they had the priority allocation available, and now the first week that scheduling was available, it got scheduled. It has been painless; I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

OP
OP

Monte87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could just find another dealer to test drive one at. I am not sure what the point is whining on the internet.
Whose whining? I'm just asking a question amongst mustang enthusiasts on a forum. This is what forums are for. Correct??
Anthony

OP
OP

Monte87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I was shopping for a 2016 Z06, it was sitting in the middle of the showroom floor. They opened the big glass walls/doors and got it out so I could test drive it. That was a $110K+ car.

Guess what? I bought it. Had they not let me test drive it, I would have walked.
Yeah, man the way it supposed to be. These aren't Bugatti Veyrons lol. They are mustangs. For me, it's all about the experinece. He killed it for me, I'm done. As matter of fact, not even wasting my time complaining, caling ford.. I'm done, they aren't renting space in my head anynore lmaooo like yesterday. Next!!!

OP
OP

Monte87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I totally agree with you But also think … you are ordering one and have never tested it either
The goal was to test drive it 1st, then place order. So they screwed that up on me already. Personally, I traded in a 2021 Roush stage 3 car in Feb2024 for Raptor. I dont think any mustang Ford has right now will compete to that car. I really need to test drive before I place order. Thabks for reply.
Thanks Anthony
Sponsored