Sponsored

DCT in the future?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Tis the truth though. Dual clutches combine the worse of manuals and autos; clunky/jerkiness at low speeds, laziness(compared to a real manual) at high speeds. Sure they make a car a bit faster around a racetrack but that isn't worth much to me. I'd take the smoothness and durability of an auto over a dual clutch every day, but I'd have to lose my left leg and right arm first.
Sponsored

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
The 6R80 is too good to replace. Even if a DCT was offered i'd stick with what we have.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
Tis the truth though. Dual clutches combine the worse of manuals and autos; clunky/jerkiness at low speeds, laziness(compared to a real manual) at high speeds. Sure they make a car a bit faster around a racetrack but that isn't worth much to me. I'd take the smoothness and durability of an auto over a dual clutch every day, but I'd have to lose my left leg and right arm first.
really,

how many have you driven? i will say that the one in my gti could not be any better. can not tell the difference between it and a auto with a tq converter.

much better than the bmw 7 speed i drove..

i really hope this thread does not develop into another manual vs dual clutch fight. it is not the purpose of the thread.

beers

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I think Ford will head in the direction that promises the best fuel economy at the lowest cost. For the mass produced versions I suspect that means a torque converter based automatic with as many gears as is feasible.

Maybe for the high performance version a dual clutch would be available, although I hope they never eliminate the stick shift.

-T

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S
Nope. The new transmission in the pipeline is the ten speed auto being developed jointly with GM.
I hope your wrong, ten gears are just way to much. Even 6 gears are a little to much. Yes I know for fuel economy more gears are better, but I would rather have a few fewer gears, be able to use the engines power band to it's fullest. I loved my Lightning that had a 4 speed automatic, and being able to lock out overdrive. You could really use each gear, and the power band to it's fullest.

The 6R80 is too good to replace. Even if a DCT was offered i'd stick with what we have.
I do like the 6R80, it's a very strong, and trouble free transmission. Even in my 2011 that doesn't have a sport mode, it is a good trans. The main thing that bothered me, it wanted to shift into 6th before you even got to 50 mph. I now have it tuned to hold each gear 2 mph longer, so now it doesn't shift into 6th till 52 mph, which is a lot better. I have driven two 14's with the sport mode, and just being able to pick a gear is a huge improvement. So if Ford can get the programing right in sport mode, or with the paddle shifters could be a great setup.

To me conventional auto, or dual clutch doesn't really matter, as long as the programing is done right. I test drove a few cars with paddle shifters, C63 AMG-shifted like crap, Audi RS5-shifted awesome, BMW 435i-shifted almost as quick as the RS5's dual clutch with a conventional automatic. So if programed right a conventional auto will feel just as fast as a duel clutch trans

So lets just hope Ford has the programing figured out

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I hope your wrong, ten gears are just way to much. Even 6 gears are a little to much. Yes I know for fuel economy more gears are better, but I would rather have a few fewer gears, be able to use the engines power band to it's fullest. I loved my Lightning that had a 4 speed automatic, and being able to lock out overdrive. You could really use each gear, and the power band to it's fullest.

I do like the 6R80, it's a very strong, and trouble free transmission. Even in my 2011 that doesn't have a sport mode, it is a good trans. The main thing that bothered me, it wanted to shift into 6th before you even got to 50 mph. I now have it tuned to hold each gear 2 mph longer, so now it doesn't shift into 6th till 52 mph, which is a lot better. I have driven two 14's with the sport mode, and just being able to pick a gear is a huge improvement. So if Ford can get the programing right in sport mode, or with the paddle shifters could be a great setup.

To me conventional auto, or dual clutch doesn't really matter, as long as the programing is done right. I test drove a few cars with paddle shifters, C63 AMG-shifted like crap, Audi RS5-shifted awesome, BMW 435i-shifted almost as quick as the RS5's dual clutch with a conventional automatic. So if programed right a conventional auto will feel just as fast as a duel clutch trans

So lets just hope Ford has the programing figured out

Well, not all paddle shifters on BMW's (& other cars) mean there is a dual clutch.

Secondly, software & hardware are light speeds ahead of where they were just 7 years ago. Locking can be dialed in now.

Lastly, GM & Ford are in a join venture... working on a 9-spd gear box. Supposedly, to offer different variants for any application. I suspect we'll see a variant of that in the GT350.. etc.

The more gears, the more chance you'll have, at whatever exact rpm you need. Gear ratios can cascade too..

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
I think Ford will head in the direction that promises the best fuel economy at the lowest cost. For the mass produced versions I suspect that means a torque converter based automatic with as many gears as is feasible.

Maybe for the high performance version a dual clutch would be available, although I hope they never eliminate the stick shift.

-T
i agree, the reason i ask about a dct is the weight savings.. and i have had such a positive experience with my vw dsg.

beers

Swamp Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep Liberty
I suspect that manual transmissions of some sort will be around in performance cars for as long as there is a significant (profitable) market for them. The most sophisticated technology doesn't always win the hearts and minds of consumers. Ask anyone who invested heavily in the Beta-Max video tape technology.
Sponsored