Dw400 in the Whipple kit

Scarydecoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Convertible GT
So got the whipple in and first couple of runs it was great cold, but would start missing when hot. So after double checking everything and fixing a messed up wire I decided to pull the pump out of the tank.
I found the little hose on the pump burst. I fixed it and it seems ok again.
I am curious if there is anything that I should look for to explain what happened. I am assuming weak hose or I nicked it during install, but before I put it all back one 100% I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything.
645C50D8-2053-4A85-9C43-064926A537C4.jpeg
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
It has nothing to do with weak because there should not be any pressure in that hose, it’s under vacuum. That should be the Venturi hose

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If there’s pressure there then something is wrong.
Are you running a return fuel system?

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Nope, this is the basic whipple stage 2 system. No upgrades besides the oversized H/E
Ya that hose should suck fuel in and not see pressure. Could be something broken or plugged or the tune has the pump running wrong

OP
OP

Scarydecoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Convertible GT
You would think if it ran wrong direction it wouldn’t start.

I didnt really look at it when I installed it, just followed the steps one by one. I was thinking it was just a vent.

I will reach out to DeatschWerks and see what they say. Depending on the type of pump head they are using I could see a defective pump pressurizing one of the two inlets.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You would think if it ran wrong direction it wouldn’t start.

I didnt really look at it when I installed it, just followed the steps one by one. I was thinking it was just a vent.

I will reach out to DeatschWerks and see what they say. Depending on the type of pump head they are using I could see a defective pump pressurizing one of the two inlets.
I don’t mean wrong direction but the pulse width

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Got it, thus why you said tune as a possibility.

Playing catch up a bit on newer performance stuff. :)
If the fuel line is full and the pump doesn’t stop then it is going to pressurize the Venturi and then you can pop that hose

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
That tube is the high pressure feed to the Venturi jet pump. It sees the full pressure of the outlet of the pump. The Venturi effect that pulls fuel from the other side happens in the jet pump at the bottom of the bucket.

I didn't have the rubber hose tear, but mine popped off multiple times using the supplied rubber hose and clamp that came with the pump. I tried a few different clamps. I then contacted DW and they sent me the updated install kit that uses hard lines like the main feed and Oetiker clamps. This was like two years ago.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
That tube is the high pressure feed to the Venturi jet pump. It sees the full pressure of the outlet of the pump. The Venturi effect that pulls fuel from the other side happens in the jet pump at the bottom of the bucket.

I didn't have the rubber hose tear, but mine popped off multiple times using the supplied rubber hose and clamp that came with the pump. I tried a few different clamps. I then contacted DW and they sent me the updated install kit that uses hard lines like the main feed and Oetiker clamps. This was like two years ago.
No that is incorrect. Do you understand how Venturi works? It can not happen at the bottom of the pump this is how Venturi works so how is it happening at the bottom of the pump?

63D76105-C65A-4814-A281-4E19097420C7.jpeg
As far as I know the Venturi effect is designed to happen at the top of the pump. now it’s possible that they have the Ventura set up another way but it is definitely not happening at the bottom of the pump. Having a second small pressure line would just make the pump weaker but having it Venturi will make it stronger

Last edited:

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You could have a bad pump where the Venturi is not working correctly. Instead of making a vacuum it’s sending pressure

Last edited:

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
That isn’t the suction side that is the outlet (on the pump) and inlet on the bucket. It has pressure from the pump to the nozzle on the Venturi.
watch dws video on the install.
Sponsored