• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Crank no start

SheRunYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 07
I’ve got a 2007 v6 mustang base crank but no start. I had four mechanics look at replaced battery ECU fuel pump and they ran many tests on it. The last shop claims that it’s both catalytic converters and want 4k to put them on because he bypassed o2 sensor and it started right up how lever he said he couldn’t keep it started long enough to know for sure. It’s throwing no codes any suggestions and should I replace my catalytic converter?
I came home one day went into the driveway and it stalled starts for a few seconds before shutting off if I wait a day. At this point after putting 4k in already its Feeling hopeless. Please anything helps thank you for reading.
Sponsored

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I’ve got a 2007 v6 mustang base crank but no start. I had four mechanics look at replaced battery ECU fuel pump and they ran many tests on it. The last shop claims that it’s both catalytic converters and want 4k to put them on because he bypassed o2 sensor and it started right up how lever he said he couldn’t keep it started long enough to know for sure. It’s throwing no codes any suggestions and should I replace my catalytic converter?
I came home one day went into the driveway and it stalled starts for a few seconds before shutting off if I wait a day. At this point after putting 4k in already its Feeling hopeless. Please anything helps thank you for reading.
1. Any codes?
2. Cats, unless totally clogged should not generate a crank no start condition.
Easily diagnosed by disconnecting them.
3. You need to find a mechanic who can monitor cam position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, fuel pressure and spark.

Don't use the parts cannon method because you will spend a fortune. Go back to basics: fuel, air and spark. One or more is missing. A good mechanic with the correct tools should be able to figure this out,

Post any codes you might be generating.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Sounds like they are throwing parts at it.
If you need catalytic converters hit up a local muffler shop… will be cheaper.

I would say might be worth it to just take it to a dealer and pay the diagnostic fee.

Or try to find a shop with an ASE L1 certified tech..lots of techs are ASE certified… few are ASE L1 certified … this is basically the equivalent of them having their PHD in car repair

OP
OP

SheRunYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 07
The first shop said it was doing codes for sensors throttle actuator sensor and throttle position sensor. Then they said they tested and got good signals from…. Accelerator position sensor throttle position sensor and the throttle actuator. So then they said there was a weak spark coming from my secondary ignition coil to my spark plugs. So they thought it was that or the ECU. The second shop said it’s my catalytic converter. I’ve paid like 4 people to look at my car It’s coming back tomorrow but it’s not running. If I only knew what was wrong I could pay to get it fixed I’ve never heard of a months worth of diagnostic breeding no answers.

OP
OP

SheRunYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 07
And yes both were ASE L1 certified and had the main technician working on my car. I’m thinking because they said both cats were clogged I haven’t gotten a tune in a bit I didn’t drive it every day. The first shop says they checked the cats but the second shop says it’s most likely that cats lol my mind is going crazy. Every time I tow it somewhere it’s 200 bucks 3 tows in. I’m bleeding money for a problem that then I need to pay for it’s crazy!!!! Could a tune up make my car not start they said they found fuel in the plugs at the first shop as well I was so confused when it ended with ECU replacement.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
At 4k you could replace the whole exhaust. While its basic but starting at the beginning, spark plugs?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
@SheRunYou, were any of these 'four shops' actual Ford dealerships?

OP
OP

SheRunYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 07
I’m going to take all of your advice if the catalytic converter and a tune up doesn’t get it started I will send it to ford. But I’m thinking this may be the issue metallic sound was coming from my car when it was driving but they didn’t see anything wrong with my engine I’m thinking my cats are completely clogged havent changed anything in it spark plugs wires. Filters so I think u all are correct. The spark is missing it wants to start but I haven’t changed any of these things and lacked on maintenance because I was really driving it everyday. This is a my fault thing an I think it’s worth trying to get the tune up and catalytic converter and go from there. Anyone agree?

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I’m going to take all of your advice if the catalytic converter and a tune up doesn’t get it started I will send it to ford. But I’m thinking this may be the issue metallic sound was coming from my car when it was driving but they didn’t see anything wrong with my engine I’m thinking my cats are completely clogged havent changed anything in it spark plugs wires. Filters so I think u all are correct. The spark is missing it wants to start but I haven’t changed any of these things and lacked on maintenance because I was really driving it everyday. This is a my fault thing an I think it’s worth trying to get the tune up and catalytic converter and go from there. Anyone agree?
I believe the mechanic can temporarily remove 1 or more O2 sensors to allow the exhaust gas to escape thus relieving the back pressure and see if the car starts. Another way is to temporarily remove the down pipe. Usually prior to a converter failing you would get symptoms like rotten egg smell, loss of power etc. Did you have anything like that or did the car just refuse to start one day?

OP
OP

SheRunYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 07
I was turning into my parking lot and it stalled started back up got it into the parking lot but then it just stopped and ever since crank and no start. They said that the removed the 02 sensor and it started up but they couldn’t keep it started long. Does that sound right?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was turning into my parking lot and it stalled started back up got it into the parking lot but then it just stopped and ever since crank and no start. They said that the removed the 02 sensor and it started up but they couldn’t keep it started long. Does that sound right?
Maybe but the easy test is to drop the exhaust (basically open shorties straight off the head) and see if it will start and run.

OP
OP

SheRunYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 07
Ok I already ordered the part smh I’m just trying to throw anything at it at this point I can’t believe a diagnostic really is this hard it’s an old car I see a lot of em driving around so I assumed more then anything I’d be able to get it fixed.
I’m supposed to be leaving town soon and I’d like to take him with me. I never seen black smoke or smelled rotten eggs. They said it was giving codes for sensors first and then it went to not getting a spark to the plugs from the secondary ignition coil or my ECU being bad and now it’s turned to cats. I’m so confused gonna go crazy soon lol.
I’ll make sure to tell the mechanic to do that what should I be looking for if the exhaust is dropped and then it starts. Does that mean it’s the cats or? And thank you guys for replying and reading making me feel like I am not by myself lol.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok I already ordered the part smh I’m just trying to throw anything at it at this point I can’t believe a diagnostic really is this hard it’s an old car I see a lot of em driving around so I assumed more then anything I’d be able to get it fixed.
I’m supposed to be leaving town soon and I’d like to take him with me. I never seen black smoke or smelled rotten eggs. They said it was giving codes for sensors first and then it went to not getting a spark to the plugs from the secondary ignition coil or my ECU being bad and now it’s turned to cats. I’m so confused gonna go crazy soon lol.
I’ll make sure to tell the mechanic to do that what should I be looking for if the exhaust is dropped and then it starts. Does that mean it’s the cats or? And thank you guys for replying and reading making me feel like I am not by myself lol.
If you drop the exhaust (actually disconnect at the exhaust manifold/header) and it starts and runs (gonna be nascar loud) it’s cats. Once plugged its fighting itself since its really an ignition powered air pump. If it can’t push anything out it won’t pull anything in.

OP
OP

SheRunYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 07
Ok got it perfect and thank you. I just went and started it it did start for longer then it has in a while I pressed on the gas it actually responded to me pressing it but then abruptly turned off I didn’t try it again because I don’t wanna be a dummy. When I get the 5th person to look at it I will ask them to do this most definitely.

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
From all the reply you have I hope your issue is solved. You might want to also try out the forum that is specific to your model type. You might get better results
Sponsored