Brake booster/MC difficult to swap?

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT230 Convertible
I have a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost, it came with the 2 pistons originally, I upgraded to the 4 piston and eventually the 6 piston Bullitt Brembos. There was a huge difference going 2 - 4’s, but little to no change from 4 - 6. From what I’ve read it’s because of the brake master cylinder and booster. Many say it’s not necessary to upgrade but almost everyone is going from 4-6. The 2 pistons have a much more dramatic change in the MC and booster.
I already got a 2019 PP Brembo/Auto MC and booster assembly for $125. I’ve done 98% of my work myself, but I moved and won’t have access to a proper tool setup for a while.

I’m being quoted around $1,000 to swap the MC and booster, does this sound about right? Seems so excessive and shouldn’t be all that difficult from what I’m visually seeing. Tempted to wait and swap myself later, unless I’m missing something, as there’s no online guides on the replacement I could find.

Also I’m in SoCal if anyone has any recommendations.

IMG_6176.jpeg
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's probably harder than it looks because of how it's clipped in under the dash. I remember hearing on here that it's a sucky job but not impossible.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
The general consensus is that the move from the 4 piston GT brakes to the 6 piston PP brakes is mostly longevity for heat soak. You get longer before heat sets in. Both will brake to the point of maximum traction so there is no more braking force to be had. I haven't done the MC, but there is a reason they charge $1000 for it and I'm going to assume it sucks. Something to consider before you embark on the journey to consider if it's worth it. Consider as well, the Ford Performance kit that upgrades the front brakes to 6 pistons also does not include a MC.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
$1k is not necessarily due to parts or bleeding of the brakes - it’s the tedious labor involved and tight location of the booster/MC at the firewall.

You would have to remove the driver seat for sure to get up under the dash. Then in the engine bay moving some things out of the way and hoping when cracking off the brake lines from the distribution block you don’t bend/kink or break any hard lines.

If you’re going this deep into a brake upgrade, if you have not already, replace all of the soft lines with good braided lines.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
$1k is not necessarily due to parts or bleeding of the brakes - it’s the tedious labor involved and tight location of the booster/MC at the firewall.

You would have to remove the driver seat for sure to get up under the dash. Then in the engine bay moving some things out of the way and hoping when cracking off the brake lines from the distribution block you don’t bend/kink or break any hard lines.

If you’re going this deep into a brake upgrade, if you have not already, replace all of the soft lines with good braided lines.
That's a good point on the lines-i have cross threaded those before in an old car when i swapped the MC and new lines didn't come pre-bent. It was a pain.
Sponsored