Sponsored

Auto Trailer Detection issue -- my truck still says the trailer is detected after disconnecting the trailer

BFDJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Towed trailer with TRD OR with towing package. The truck has the auto trailer detection system when you plug in the trailer or if it detects one with the sensors. When this happens the system turns off several safety systems. Problem is that my truck still says the trailer is detected after disconnecting the trailer. Took to the dealer and they said it is a known problem by Toyota and it will be at least several months before they have a fix. So no lane keeping with cruise etc.

Tried pulling fuses and disconnecting all power but the ECU won't reset. Anyone have solution?
Sponsored

BMM123

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 now - Sport Premium on order
This happened to me as well. Nothing I tried seemed to work, tried removing trailer, adding it back in. I kind of gave up and after about 15 minutes of driving, it switched back to normal.

OP
OP

BFDJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Took truck in to dealer. After 3 days in the shop they said Toyota knows of this problem with the auto trailer detection system but doesn’t have a fix. They said it could be several months or more before a fix is found. Truck was returned to me unfixed and many safety functions still inoperable. But at least I have a case number :(

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
Towed trailer with TRD OR with towing package. The truck has the auto trailer detection system when you plug in the trailer or if it detects one with the sensors. When this happens the system turns off several safety systems. Problem is that my truck still says the trailer is detected after disconnecting the trailer. Took to the dealer and they said it is a known problem by Toyota and it will be at least several months before they have a fix. So no lane keeping with cruise etc.

Tried pulling fuses and disconnecting all power but the ECU won't reset. Anyone have solution?
I’m having the same issue. Hooked up to trailer last evening, moved it about 50 yds, unhooked. This morning I had the trailer detected notification, with safety features turned off. The trailer icon shows on instrument cluster.

If you, or your dealer, find a solution please update. I’d rather not deal with my dealer until solution is known.

Duce95

First Name
Big Deezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TRD Offroad
Try unplugging the negative terminal for about 5 mins-Reconnect. Reconnect trailer, unplug and then confirm trailer disconnected from the cluster. I got mine to turn off but not sure of the sequence.

Last edited:

TacoGomez

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I’m having the same problem. Can’t get it to turn off even after disconnecting neg terminal.

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
Finally….This is what worked for me…

•Disconnected negative battery connection for 5-10 minutes. Reconnected.

•trailer was already attached to ball, plugged in lights, moved trailer about 50 yards, parked and disconnected.

•truck still indicated trailer was connected, moved truck and parked. When I parked, the cluster pop up asked to confirm trailer was connected. I tried selecting NO and it would not recognize selection . Tried holding OK for several minutes and it would not accept. I ignored the request and drove about 200 yds to garage and parked. When I placed truck in park, it disconnected the trailer setting and my dash light went off.

Now I want to know if there’s a procedure to follow when disconnecting. Didn’t see one in the owners manual.

dapperdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma off road
Finally….This is what worked for me…

•Disconnected negative battery connection for 5-10 minutes. Reconnected.

•trailer was already attached to ball, plugged in lights, moved trailer about 50 yards, parked and disconnected.

•truck still indicated trailer was connected, moved truck and parked. When I parked, the cluster pop up asked to confirm trailer was connected. I tried selecting NO and it would not recognize selection . Tried holding OK for several minutes and it would not accept. I ignored the request and drove about 200 yds to garage and parked. When I placed truck in park, it disconnected the trailer setting and my dash light went off.

Now I want to know if there’s a procedure to follow when disconnecting. Didn’t see one in the owners manual.
This is good to know, will have to try tomorrow. I towed my trailer home this evening and same thing. Disconnected, backed truck into garage and still showing connected and can't turn on parking stuff again.
Sponsored