Sponsored

AC dripping cold water in drivers side floor?

MarineVet6113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD
Just noticed some cold water drip on my right food while driving. Ac was running on coldest setting and it is pretty warm today here in Florida. I drove for an hour and nothing happens then I got a good little bit on my right foot on the gas pedal then a few minutes later a little bit more before my stop? Any ideas?
Sponsored

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
AC evaporator is supposed to drain to outside the truck, not inside. Either drain isn’t connected or has debris in the line preventing it from draining outside the truck.

OP
OP

MarineVet6113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s what I was thinking. I thought the drain would be more toward the passenger side though. Generally I do have water on floor in garage as you would expect and it’s never done this but wouldn’t think it would be clogged at 450 miles. I’ve have it a week ans this is first day I’ve seen this.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s what I was thinking. I thought the drain would be more toward the passenger side though. Generally I do have water on floor in garage as you would expect and it’s never done this but wouldn’t think it would be clogged at 450 miles. I’ve have it a week ans this is first day I’ve seen this.
Yes, it usually is passenger side, but if the evaporator condensate tray is full, it could drip driver side. Plugged may be a bad word for the drain - maybe it’s pinched or not connected properly. One way or another doesn’t matter the humidity or how hot it is, whatever condensation is generated should drain. I’d get it in, don’t want water dripping on any electrical or modules.

OP
OP

MarineVet6113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it usually is passenger side, but if the evaporator condensate tray is full, it could drip driver side. Plugged may be a bad word for the drain - maybe it’s pinched or not connected properly. One way or another doesn’t matter the humidity or how hot it is, whatever condensation is generated should drain. I’d get it in, don’t want water dripping on any electrical or modules.
Yeah idk. The drain looks to drain pretty good and fast but who knows. I made appt for morning so we will see.

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Not sure if the same, but in the 3rd gen, on humid days the box will sweat. Drain can be perfectly fine and box doesn't leak at all, yet will still drip onto the passenger floor because of sweat that accumulated and ran off. Wonder if 4th gen is the same. Maybe the box is leaking like the dealer says, but I feel like that would be hard to properly diagnose without taking everything apart, especially on such a new truck that the problems haven't become known on yet.

OP
OP

MarineVet6113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if the same, but in the 3rd gen, on humid days the box will sweat. Drain can be perfectly fine and box doesn't leak at all, yet will still drip onto the passenger floor because of sweat that accumulated and ran off. Wonder if 4th gen is the same. Maybe the box is leaking like the dealer says, but I feel like that would be hard to properly diagnose without taking everything apart, especially on such a new truck that the problems haven't become known on yet.
They showed me a video of it, and it is literally cracked. I have no idea how I drove it for a week and that didn’t happen, but I am beyond pissed right now and don’t even know what to say or think.. I love this, but I guess I picked the wrong one because it’s gonna be interesting to see what it’s like after they rip the whole dash apart. I will be lucky if it’s the same when I get it back.

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
They showed me a video of it, and it is literally cracked. I have no idea how I drove it for a week and that didn’t happen, but I am beyond pissed right now and don’t even know what to say or think.. I love this, but I guess I picked the wrong one because it’s gonna be interesting to see what it’s like after they rip the whole dash apart. I will be lucky if it’s the same when I get it back.
Well that sucks. Sorry to hear. The good thing is, the dashes actually come apart and go back together pretty easily in stock form. If you get a good tech it will probably be fine.

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Forgive my lack of mechanical experience…why can’t a dash be reassembled without issue? Too many attachment point? Too much electronics? All/none of the above?

OP
OP

MarineVet6113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well that sucks. Sorry to hear. The good thing is, the dashes actually come apart and go back together pretty easily in stock form. If you get a good tech it will probably be fine.
Yes, it surely does suck. They told me this is the first 24 Tacoma with this replacement so they had to open up a case for it to see if this is going to be a problematic issue down the road for others. Supposedly their master technician is going to be working on it so I hope he’s decent because right now just the complexity of pulling it all apart makes me sick to my stomach

OP
OP

MarineVet6113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgive my lack of mechanical experience…why can’t a dash be reassembled without issue? Too many attachment point? Too much electronics? All/none of the above?
I mean, I’m sure technically it can. It just seems like a lot of stuff to pull off and a lot of parts involved and I don’t think anybody that buys a brand new truck once their dash ripped apart a week later. Knock on wood everything will go OK.

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Understood and agreed. I saw another post maybe on the Tacoma world forum where someone had an AC noise and the proposed remedy included dash removal. The OP was not keen on dash removal either.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it surely does suck. They told me this is the first 24 Tacoma with this replacement so they had to open up a case for it to see if this is going to be a problematic issue down the road for others. Supposedly their master technician is going to be working on it so I hope he’s decent because right now just the complexity of pulling it all apart makes me sick to my stomach
Try not to sweat it. Believe me they don't want your truck coming back forever and day with squeaks and rattles after replaceing the evaporator box. It'll be fine - technicians are professionals at what they do and they want it fixed the first time. I know, it's hearbreaking none the less having a new truck that needs that sort of repair.

OP
OP

MarineVet6113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try not to sweat it. Believe me they don't want your truck coming back forever and day with squeaks and rattles after replaceing the evaporator box. It'll be fine - technicians are professionals at what they do and they want it fixed the first time. I know, it's hearbreaking none the less having a new truck that needs that sort of repair.
I appreciate the encouragement and maybe it will pan out well. And to think I came from a Jeep. At this point I don’t even know when this going to take place. They are waiting for TAS to tell them what to do and give them authorization to order the part. No idea how I drove for a week and it was fine and just develops a crack.
Sponsored