2015 GT - Shaker Pro Sound - Phoenix T-style headunit

keno1964

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Good day everyone! I'm pretty new around here but I've been in the Mustang game since... Ooooh, way back. (I'm an old guy, started with a '72 Mach 1, then a '75 Mach 1, now this one)

Straight to the point though.

I currently have a 2015 GT Premium with the Shaker Pro sound system (12 speaker). I elected to replace the head unit with a Phoenix Automotive T-style unit, but kept the factory radio. (Removed the Sync unit)

I'm learning that this wasn't the best all around choice, but it's what I've got.

So, the Phoenix radio works to the point of the steering wheel controls still work (though some operate differntly of course), A/C works, backup camera, etc, but....

The sound that's put out is relatively horrendous. After several weeks of adjusting, getting into the 'secret' areas of the menus to make changes to audio related settings and a couple of tech support calls to the company, here's where this stands.

The balance is reversed (left is right and right is left and can't be changed but no biggie), fading only works from mid to rear (fading to front mutes all sound, mid and rear produce sound in all speakers), and apparently this unit only puts out a single sound channel. Meaning, all speakers get the same output regardless of what they are. Tweeters are getting mids and bass, subwoofer is getting mids and highs.

Now... I like the things I get with the radio such as it's nominal Android abilities. (Storing my MP3 playlists directly on it instead of a thumb-drive, attaching it to my dashcam, connecting to the bluetooth OBD adapter to show system info, etc)

But the sound is.... Well... Bad.

I don't know if removing the factory radio and allowing this head-unit to control the speakers will do any good since it's only a single channel (this from the engineers at Phoenix), but I know the factory amps and speakers all have "seperability" since that's how they worked from the factory.

I'm not at ALL sure what can be done to get the speakers back into their normal configuration, or if it's even possible. But I've read enough in here to know that there are people here that know WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than I ever will about these things, so here I am.

Anybody got any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!!

Ken
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Someone else who has installed one of these could offer more advice, but to me it sounds like you haven't connected the system to the factory wiring correctly. Does this thing have a plug and play wire harness or did you make the audio connections to the car wiring? Highly improbable that this head unit is only putting out mono sound. It will be stereo with fade capability. Do you have an installation guide for this?

OP
OP
keno1964

keno1964

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hi! It does have a plug-n-play harness and that part was no issue at all. Easy-peasy. There were ZERO instructions for it, and multiple requests to the company to provide the same have born no fruit. I honestly don't think they have any. They expect you to watch random videos produced by the company that aren't particularly informative. (None show the exact radio I have, nor the correct vehicle) Their FAQs also leave much to be desired.

Last edited:
OP
OP
keno1964

keno1964

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Regarding the single channel, after going through all the audio settings with the support tech watching and directing, he contacted one of their engineers regarding the fact that "all" speakers were producing "all" sound and that guy told him that there was only "one output" for the sound. I took that as single channel, but could be mistaken.
Sponsored