Sponsored

Mustang vs. Camaro Grudge Racing @ Autocross?

IMSAFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS/1LE
Okay lets get something clear right away. I'm not looking to start a Camaro vs Mustang argument thread!!! I'm simply looking to invite some Mustang owners to come join in some friendly competition at my local autocross event.

I will personally be there in my 6th gen SS 1LE competing in A-Street and I know a buddy of mine will be there in his 5th gen SS 1LE running F-Street. I'm also trying to convince my coworker to come in his GT350 but I'm guessing if he does come he will bring his Focus RS.

I'm just a Novice and this will be my 3rd event with CCR but I would love to see some more mustangs come out to compare times. I have seen a few Perf. Pack GT's out and 2012 Boss Mustang, but I haven't got to see a GT350 in action yet. I would love to get a shot at one, but mostly I'm just looking for more car guys to join in on the fun.

BTW chances are good there will be plenty of time for "Fun Runs" after the competition is over.

Hope to see some of you there! :cheers:

The link below has all the details on the event but here's the short of it...

Date: 5/28/2017

Cost: Non SCCA Members $55 (Members $40)

Spectating is free!

https://ccrscca.com/events/autox-5-at-donaldson-airport-greenville-sc/

[ame]
Sponsored

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Nice job! :cheers:
Just imagine how much faster you would have been in a Mustang!
:eyebulge:

So why does a Chev enthusiast post on a Mustang forum?

OP
OP
IMSAFAN

IMSAFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS/1LE

HAHA!

Just trying to get a few more Mustangs out to the events to have some friendly competition with. I would be lying if I didn't say I want to beat them all, but I'm sure they want to beat me as well.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
You're a bit far away for a weekend grudge match :)

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack

No dog in this fight but it would appear they are looking to get more people at the event with other pony cars. Seems reasonable to me.

OP - nice lap. Not sure if that is the track the event is taking place but I can see why your buddy would leave the 350 at home and take the other car. In any case if you have a good turn out post back. Would be interesting to see.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Okay lets get something clear right away. I'm not looking to start a Camaro vs Mustang argument thread!!! I'm simply looking to invite some Mustang owners to come join in some friendly competition at my local autocross event.

I will personally be there in my 6th gen SS 1LE competing in A-Street and I know a buddy of mine will be there in his 5th gen SS 1LE running F-Street. I'm also trying to convince my coworker to come in his GT350 but I'm guessing if he does come he will bring his Focus RS.

I'm just a Novice and this will be my 3rd event with CCR but I would love to see some more mustangs come out to compare times. I have seen a few Perf. Pack GT's out and 2012 Boss Mustang, but I haven't got to see a GT350 in action yet. I would love to get a shot at one, but mostly I'm just looking for more car guys to join in on the fun.

BTW chances are good there will be plenty of time for "Fun Runs" after the competition is over.

Hope to see some of you there! :cheers:

The link below has all the details on the event but here's the short of it...

Date: 5/28/2017

Cost: Non SCCA Members $55 (Members $40)

Spectating is free!

https://ccrscca.com/events/autox-5-at-donaldson-airport-greenville-sc/

Those times will have nothing to do with the cars and everything to do with drivers so calling it a grudge match is little bit of overstatement.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Locally Camaros are MIA. I've done a 2 day Mid Ohio track weekend and 2 autocrosses in the last month, a combined 6 Camaros to approximately 25-30 Mustangs.

If you were closer I'd be glad to show you that you won't need the GT350 to be humbled :)

PS, PDR is a super cool option, jelly there for sure.

OP
OP
IMSAFAN

IMSAFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS/1LE
You're a bit far away for a weekend grudge match :)
Come on the drive can't be too bad from Vegas. HAHAHA!

No dog in this fight but it would appear they are looking to get more people at the event with other pony cars. Seems reasonable to me.

OP - nice lap. Not sure if that is the track the event is taking place but I can see why your buddy would leave the 350 at home and take the other car. In any case if you have a good turn out post back. Would be interesting to see.
Yep I'm bored with only having miatas and S2000's to compare my laps with. I'm surprised the Mustang turn out hasn't been as large as I would've assumed this year.

Thanks, definitely botched the chicane after the last slalom but still good enough to fend of the challenging Modified '08 Evo. Yep truth be told I would bring the RS if it was me too. Autocross in general suits the RS better. This event is at a different venue, but the layout with probably remain that tight. It honestly looks much slower in video than it is in person.

I'll post back with results.

Those times will have nothing to do with the cars and everything to do with drivers so calling it a grudge match is little bit of overstatement.
I know what you mean it may not be fair to compare my 1LE to a Stock GT or a PP. I would say every form of racing has everything to do with the drivers and little to do with the cars, but you never know when someone might show up with a similarly fast car and relatively equal skill level.

However if you are unfamiliar with SCCA Autocross they use a time handicaping formula that can allow you to closely compare the drivers skill level even though the cars might be 10 seconds apart from each other. It's referred to as PAX time. My Rookie class that I will be competing in will run PAX times since I'll be competing with cars of all classes.

Locally Camaros are MIA. I've done a 2 day Mid Ohio track weekend and 2 autocrosses in the last month, a combined 6 Camaros to approximately 25-30 Mustangs.

If you were closer I'd be glad to show you that you won't need the GT350 to be humbled :)

PS, PDR is a super cool option, jelly there for sure.
Surprisingly the Camaros seem to out number the Mustangs at our events, which is exactly why I'm posting here. I know all you car nuts who haven't experienced and autoX will enjoy it as much as I do.

Trust me I'm well aware a GT with the right mods and driver could give me a good run. I'm really hoping to see some killer Modified GT's show up and start competing in the CAM (Classic American Muscle) class soon. Always fun to see some late model american cars raising eyebrows from all these Miata and S2000 racers. Especially at events that is much more suited to their small light weight cars.

PDR is EPIC!!! To be honest it feels a little like cheating to be able to quickly review a lap while in the staging lanes for the next lap. Anyone who is experienced in AutoX knows its a huge benefit to be able to learn a course quickly as you usually only get 4 runs in a competition. Also seeing live data overlays of all my inputs can be extremely helpful in determining errors in a run and fixing them on the next.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
OP
OP
IMSAFAN

IMSAFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS/1LE
I'm a big autocross fan as well, I actually run the local Ford Club's autocrosses, but it isn't for everyone. Huge time commitment, very little seat time, and for the novice, the sea of cones can be intimidating.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1856245&postcount=54
I agree it can be very time consuming and not many runs, However I don't expect this event to be that way. The 5/7 event there had an hour and a half of
"fun runs" after the competition was over and they were still finished by 4pm. That was with a 130+ cars as of yesterday only 46 were signed up for the 5/28 event.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I know what you mean it may not be fair to compare my 1LE to a Stock GT or a PP. I would say every form of racing has everything to do with the drivers and little to do with the cars, but you never know when someone might show up with a similarly fast car and relatively equal skill level.

However if you are unfamiliar with SCCA Autocross they use a time handicaping formula that can allow you to closely compare the drivers skill level even though the cars might be 10 seconds apart from each other. It's referred to as PAX time. My Rookie class that I will be competing in will run PAX times since I'll be competing with cars of all classes.
I am very familiar with SCCA classing. What I mean is - at your level (since you mentioned you're a novice), car is almost completely irrelevant. I would bet you got beat up by a bunch of Miatas - does that mean they're faster than mighty 1LE ? Or better, were there HS Fiesta STs that raw timed you by a few seconds (I was raw timed by top national driver in Fiesta ST by a second on our last event) ?
All I am saying is that inviting people for a Chevy vs. Ford match when you're novice makes no sense. It's infinitely more about the driver than the car unless you're top national level.

OP
OP
IMSAFAN

IMSAFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS/1LE
I am very familiar with SCCA classing. What I mean is - at your level (since you mentioned you're a novice), car is almost completely irrelevant. I would bet you got beat up by a bunch of Miatas - does that mean they're faster than mighty 1LE ? Or better, were there HS Fiesta STs that raw timed you by a few seconds (I was raw timed by top national driver in Fiesta ST by a second on our last event) ?
All I am saying is that inviting people for a Chevy vs. Ford match when you're novice makes no sense. It's infinitely more about the driver than the car unless you're top national level.
Of course there are faster drivers than me and pro drivers that can embarass me in much slower cars, but I would like to think I'm not as slow of a Novice as you're implying. My first event I PAX'd 62 out of 217 entries and finished exactly 1 spot behing the Novice Cheif who is a National Level driver. I have won Novice class every event I've been at beating over 70 cars in all classes. By win I mean I out RAW timed every car in Novice. Granted most were slower classed cars than mine but I checked all the slower ones that were close and I still out PAX'd them all. On the flip side I also out RAW timed quite a few cars that were in faster classes than the 1LE. My last event I would have won our A-Street class had Danny Popp not shown up and crashed the party. He had the #2 PAX time of the whole event BTW.

So yes I'm certainly a novice and I'm certainly not a National level driver. However I think I've picked up the pace pretty quickly and I think I can hold my own against anyone. As you can see from the clip in my original post I still have a lot to improve upon but I feel very confident in my abilities to continue getting faster.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So yes I'm certainly a novice and I'm certainly not a National level driver. However I think I've picked up the pace pretty quickly and I think I can hold my own against anyone. As you can see from the clip in my original post I still have a lot to improve upon but I feel very confident in my abilities to continue getting faster.
I understand all that and you take it personally - unfortunately. Not trying to imply you're slow or anything, all I am saying that until you get to the highest level, car is really not that important. All about the driver while your subject suggests it will be "which car is faster" which comes dangerously close to what Pill does. And then you can have endless debates of how fair / unfair PAX for each class is unless somebody brings over GT350.

Danny is local here, so I very well know what he does, last Sunday he was top pax and raw timed everybody except C Mod car (Solo Vee) in his CAM-S Vette in a line-up that included quite a few National Champions and Trophy winners.

OP
OP
IMSAFAN

IMSAFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS/1LE
I understand all that and you take it personally - unfortunately. Not trying to imply you're slow or anything, all I am saying that until you get to the highest level, car is really not that important. All about the driver while your subject suggests it will be "which car is faster" which comes dangerously close to what Pill does. And then you can have endless debates of how fair / unfair PAX for each class is unless somebody brings over GT350.

Danny is local here, so I very well know what he does, last Sunday he was top pax and raw timed everybody except C Mod car (Solo Vee) in his CAM-S Vette in a line-up that included quite a few National Champions and Trophy winners.
No hard feelings here. Title was intentionally click baity. Just trying to entice some other Mustangs out. Not sure it warrants a comparison to The Pill though. Just imagining him in a thread like this makes me cringe. HAHAHA!

No doubt. Danny Popp is a monster behind the wheel!

OP
OP
IMSAFAN

IMSAFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS/1LE
My main point is that there are all different kinds of camaros with drivers of all skill levels that will be there. I'm pretty sure a relatively equal opponent can be found for any Mustang that wants to come out and see where they stack up.

We also have a 2012 Boss 302 that is part of our normal group at the events.
Sponsored