• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse Depreciation vs GT

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Reality is to me the GT is simply an entry level mustang, it is infact the lowest price new ford you can get excluding the maverick hybrid and the ecoboost stuff.
If I didn't already have my GT and were still married, I would use this excellent point justifying the purchase I wanted to make. Ford isn't a luxury brand, and I'm buying the cheapest vehicle this brand makes. How is this not a rational, logical choice for a reasonable vehicle purchase? I love it!
Sponsored

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Reality is to me the GT is simply an entry level mustang, it is infact the lowest price new ford you can get excluding the maverick hybrid and the ecoboost stuff. They are really over produced and have the market saturated, even here in the middle of nowhere.

I exclude the ecoboost stuff simply because they have a definite life span, in higher miles, turbos are typical failures along with engines. I get it there is much love for those, in reality longevity is a problem.

Future value factors reside on production numbers followed by emotional desire to own one. When the market is overfull with a model, well the value drops.
I suppose, but If you exclude anything with an Ecoboost, there isn't much left at the Ford store.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Cars are typically one of the worst investments one can make. Yea, I know about Barrett Jackson and I cringe every time I see the 72 Duster 340 that my wife used to own.. For me the 78 Trans Am chicken hood and several other cars I have owned. Sure if you garage queen a Shelby or another unicorn for 30 years it will probably be worth a lot of money. I prefer to drive and enjoy my cars. All I'm saying is OVERALL don't buy a car as an investment. Buy a car to live life and have fun..

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I didn't buy a specific Mustang based on losing $5K instead of $12K four years from now. I also didn't buy it as an investment.

I'm happy that I'm at a place in my life where such an amount doesn't make me buy something I don't really want.

Life is short. Buy the car. 😉

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
This matter is subjective and it's going to come down to how desirable they are.

IMO, the DH doesn't add enough difference over the GT to warrant the extra cost, so I wouldn't see them holding their value as well, despite being less common. I could be totally wrong though, it's a matter of opinion.
100 percent value changes overtime, i remember when the GT350s first came out and people where like “the boss 302s are better will be worth more etc” not too long after that you could find them for 30k all day long they tanked hard because the GT350 really hit the market hard even with the engine issues. Unfortunately unless ford doesn’t make any higher HP variants “unlikely” or price them out of orbit “possible” i don’t see the DHs commanding a huge up charge over a GT unless when tuning is a available the better rods & cams make massive differences. Which is totally possible if a DH makes 20-30whp more than a GT mod for mod you bet and be more reliable people will pay for it. But that’s all conjecture.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
This matter is subjective and it's going to come down to how desirable they are.

IMO, the DH doesn't add enough difference over the GT to warrant the extra cost, so I wouldn't see them holding their value as well, despite being less common. I could be totally wrong though, it's a matter of opinion.
I don’t understand why anyone is concerned about the trade in value of either one.
A new vehicle looses something like 20% or more of its value after you sign the contract.
Wether you drive it home or leave it on the lot.
I always purchase the vehicle and drive it until all the warranty’s run out.
I would suggest if your looking for a great trade opportunity then purchase an exotic car like a Lamborghini, Ferrari. Let it sit in your garage and then sell it. If not buy the Mustang. It’s a car to have fun with.
It puts a smile on your face.,

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
One thing I considered was the cost of financing for the DH: 3% higher than the GT here, which made financial sense only if I paid it cash.
Whereas I am doing better financing the GT and investing the money conservatively and coming ahead at the end of the term.
This would have a greater financial impact to me than the DH retaining a couple percent more resale value than the GT.
Like others said, they are mass produced and the ones that will retain the most value are the ones that were enjoyed the least. And we don't want to be museum custodians, do we?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I considered was the cost of financing for the DH: 3% higher than the GT here, which made financial sense only if I paid it cash
Huh? Your rate is based on the model of car you're buying?

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Huh? Your rate is based on the model of car you're buying?
Yes. With Ford financing the EB and GT are 4.99%, and the DH is 7.99%
Banks are higher.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. With Ford financing the EB and GT are 4.99%, and the DH is 7.99%
Banks are higher.
Ahh, that's right.

I went through my CU for the Dark Horse. Lower APR % than Ford Credit.

Reactions: JAL

jboogie1289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Oxford White Mustang GT w/ PP, AE & NPP Pkg
I drive too much to worry about these things, lol. Either for me would/will be a loss. Cars for me are not investments and are thoroughly enjoyed by myself.

This ^ 100%. I get a vehicle to drive and not worry about miles. My 24' is a DD and I'm enjoying the Hell out of it. Have to make up excuses to take it out and run it. Just how I am about my vehicles. When the time comes for me to make another choice for replacement, I will deal with that then on cost(s).

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
In the UK ford offers 9.9% on all mustangs except for the mach-e where they offer 0% and £7500 off list price.
My dealer does do finance with one other vendor and they offer 7.9% at present, but they're far more conservative on the final value so you end up paying more per month.
But on my offer it was a difference between £8k and £12k interest in 3 years and £6k less to pay at the end.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
In the UK ford offers 9.9% on all mustangs except for the mach-e where they offer 0% and £7500 off list price.
My dealer does do finance with one other vendor and they offer 7.9% at present, but they're far more conservative on the final value so you end up paying more per month.
But on my offer it was a difference between £8k and £12k interest in 3 years and £6k less to pay at the end.
That's borderline insanity. I wouldn't buy a car right now if I couldn't pay cash or get a rate under the 5.3% that CD's & Money Market instruments are paying today.

CDNV8S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future owner S650 GT PREM
For conversation sake, my 2018 subaru WRX Sport-Tech with 90,000km MSRP 36,500 CDN ordered new was written off/total loss last month. Insurance paid me out $29,995. Making it depreciate $1,000 per year.

I put 4k in mods in that was a total loss lmao no refund from insurance for stage 2+
Sponsored