willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I'm not quite sure if there are no ill effects. I too experienced opening of the factory bypass valve under partial throttle conditions. In these cases, the engine was operating under vacuum. Since I had the Boomba adapter installed at the time (essentially the same as disconnecting the recirculation hose), unfiltered air was entering the engine during these periods. I elected to remove the adapter and run the stock recirculation setup, instead choosing to install a JLT intake to improve sound among other things.

Will the small amounts of unfiltered air entering the engine through the vented-to-atmosphere bypass valve during these conditions cause engine damage? Possibly in the long term, but by then, there's no way to tell that the bypass valve being vented is what caused any problems that may develop. I weighed the risks vs. rewards, and did what suited me best. Others may think and choose differently. :)
Why would the bypass valve open when the car is in vacuum? Shouldn't it only open with a build up of pressure when the throttle body is closed? I mean I know this thing isn't an HKS SSQVII or anything but, the purpose is the same...
Sponsored

Edwin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang - Triple Yellow
The only reason the BPV opens is to prevent compressor surge. It only opens if there is enough pressure in the system to open the BPV and vent outwards. I don't think its possible for it to bring air in through this way because it will either be open and venting compressed air outwards or it will be closed. And the only way you know it's open during those partial throttle conditions is because you hear that prolonged "pshhh". Which is the sound of air being released out of the system.

EnFOURcer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.turbosmartusa.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecostang, 2015 5.0, 2007 GT500, 2014 Tremor
Why would the bypass valve open when the car is in vacuum? Shouldn't it only open with a build up of pressure when the throttle body is closed? I mean I know this thing isn't an HKS SSQVII or anything but, the purpose is the same...
The factory BPV is not pressure actuated. It is a solenoid that is operated by the ECU.
The ECU tells it to open for various reasons (de-cel, torque management, etc).

Also, it is not 100% positive sealing - it leaks.
So when a spacer plate is installed, you can hear the ECU operation and leaking much better than without.

willmkent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
The factory BPV is not pressure actuated. It is a solenoid that is operated by the ECU.
The ECU tells it to open for various reasons (de-cel, torque management, etc).

Also, it is not 100% positive sealing - it leaks.
So when a spacer plate is installed, you can hear the ECU operation and leaking much better than without.
Where did you find that info? Seems a little overkill for a blow off valve, but hey in these new cars anything is possible

EnFOURcer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.turbosmartusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Where did you find that info? Seems a little overkill for a blow off valve, but hey in these new cars anything is possible
I am heavily involved in the development of performance upgrades for these vehicles.

I am the VP/GM of Turbosmart USA

Last edited:

Sponsored

willmkent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I am heavily involved in the development of performance upgrades for these vehicles.

I am the VM/GM of Turbosmart USA
You guys make a replacement blow off valve for this car right?

Lastley, your opinion : is this mod OK or not OK?? I'm curious because you have experience with the system

EnFOURcer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.turbosmartusa.com
Vehicle(s)
You guys make a replacement blow off valve for this car right?

Lastley, your opinion : is this mod OK or not OK?? I'm curious because you have experience with the system
Yes we do.

Yes this mod is fine but I will say that due to the design and function of the OEM solenoid valve, I would recommend installing a small filter on the outlet pipe and plugging the intake section with a cap (as many are doing) to keep the system sealed and clean.

willmkent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Yes we do.

Yes this mod is fine but I will say that due to the design and function of the OEM solenoid valve, I would recommend installing a small filter on the outlet pipe and plugging the intake section with a cap (as many are doing) to keep the system sealed and clean.
Awesome, thanks. I'm gonna look into both options, turbo smart makes great products so can't go wrong there!

willmkent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
So i have to ask, I've been driving around now for a few days, with the recirculating tube unplugged from the air intake with the intake capped etc, and I almost feel like there is a loss of power or torque ....

Am I crazy or is this a possibility ?

Sponsored

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
So i have to ask, I've been driving around now for a few days, with the recirculating tube unplugged from the air intake with the intake capped etc, and I almost feel like there is a loss of power or torque ....

Am I crazy or is this a possibility ?
It's in your head :)

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Well I replaced my stock BPV that was running with the tube disconnected for quite some time now. I really do think my stock one was leaking or it may just be the operation of the factory valve vs a vacuum operated valve but the boost is very different. It feels stronger and doesn't operate constantly. for anyone thinking of replacing the stock BPV it is really worth it and quire easy to install. the hardest part for me was installing the adapter block for the vacuum line because its a really tight fit. other than that it was straight forward.

willmkent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
It's in your head :)
I had a feeling, but I have this bad habit of always thinking that if I changed one little thing it will effect the car a ton lol

Well I replaced my stock BPV that was running with the tube disconnected for quite some time now. I really do think my stock one was leaking or it may just be the operation of the factory valve vs a vacuum operated valve but the boost is very different. It feels stronger and doesn't operate constantly. for anyone thinking of replacing the stock BPV it is really worth it and quire easy to install. the hardest part for me was installing the adapter block for the vacuum line because its a really tight fit. other than that it was straight forward.
Mind elaborating a little more, I'm curious as to what was going on with your valve??

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
... Mind elaborating a little more, I'm curious as to what was going on with your valve??
I've had a tune on car since 300 miles now with 4500 miles of mostly city driving which is hard on any valve with lots of constant operation. I started to notice a hiss sound that sounded like the BPV but checking the AP it was not being opened by the car at the time. Not sure if it was leaking or not. Also it started to make a Hiccup sound more often when it initially opens at high boost. Not sure if that is normal or not but at that point I just decided to replace the stocker.

Its hard to describe but the boost feels way different possibly because its not constantly venting at low rpm like the stock valve. Either way its sooooo nice not having that stock valve constantly operating. It drove me nuts after a while especially in traffic.
Sponsored