You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
There are many things I do on my car, both big and small and I don't always post them. Actually, I rarely post the things I do unless I feel it is worth it or I reply to a post. Seems like I reply a lot to Jaime's posts had here is another one.

I had a JLT CAI on my car (I am sure many have seen it from the engine compartment photos I have posted) and two weeks ago, went back to the stock OEM setup. When I initially got the car, I immediately replaced the OEM air filter with an S&B Powerstacked Top air filter. Jaime and I have been using these filters in our cars for some time and really like them. So why did I remove the JLT CAI? I felt too much hot air was getting into the intake.

I did a simple test and not sure it was even accurate but my results were this: The ambient temps around here last month (and for most of the summer) were around 95. One of the gauges I have set up on the dash is intake air temp. While driving around with the JLT CAI, the temp was always ran around 20˚-25˚ warmer than the ambient temp. On the freeway driving a constant 70 mph, it would drop to around 15˚ warmer. After replacing it with the OEM enclosed box, my temps dropped to 10˚-15˚ warmer driving around town and on the freeway the intake temp stays virtually the same temp as the ambient temp. This leads me to believe hot engine air is being drawn into the intake and while I might be getting the most air with the super large air filter of the JLT, I would rather have cooler air going into the intake.

One other thing as Jaime had stated was water getting into the intake of the JLT. I don't always install the rain cover on the air vent when I wash the car (I don't spray water directly into the vent anyway) and the filter would get wet. Like Jaime, I am not after the fastest car. I am very happy with the stock OEM enclosed box with the S&B filter and pretty sure I will stay this way.
Hi Mark, you may be as happy as I am to hear this. I have been speaking with S&B people, and I do believe they are working on an enclosed airbox intake for the GT500. Now that is some thing I will get in line for. Hope all is well buddy.
Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up Jaime. I’ll be second in line right after you.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Damn electricity! I started this reply TWICE only to have the power go out AGAIN. It just came back on a couple hours later. Anyway...

That's a very good question, WP and like you, no engineering background to call upon. But my guess is that at low speeds and high throttle position, the SC might not receive the optimum amount of air. If that is by chance, true, then the speed at which the equation reverses would be anyone's guess I suppose.

But, that said, I just don't think the Ford engineers would design the engine, discover the issue, and accept air starvation of anything other than a limited amount.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
do you mind sharing the part number you used for a Shelby? interested in the filter. Thanks in advance. JP

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I will say that over the years i have likely used almost every intake/CAI from all the manufactures, K&N, AEM, JLT, Roto-Fab, and S&B, prob others. I got the S&B by chance many years ago for my silverado before i had even heard of them. I will say that from an overall fit, finish, and appearance they seem to be 1 notch above the rest of them. And the clear cover and TRUE air box takes out the guess work if its sealed or not. Filtering and flow aside S&B wins on appearance IMO, and i assume they flow/filter as good as others?

That being said I have the JLT on mine and i haven't really examined it for hood sealing or overall sealed compartment for cold Air but i would think it would be acceptable or of no consequence for IAT's, i could be wrong tho....

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
JLT uses S&B filters in some of their CAI's but they are also selling just the S&B filter replacement for the OEM GT500 filter.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Seems like a lot of people are starting to use S&B filters, almost like they are the new 'K&N'

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
curious why the White filter they sell is dry and the red and blue are "oiled" which is better?
Sponsored