Trunk release button under bumper acting crazy

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
As stated the trunk release button under the rear bumper is "working/not working" occasionally. All other options to open the trunk are operating properly. Does anyone have any suggestions, or experienced this little problem. I know full well if I take it to the dealer it will work. So if there's something I could easily do, that would be much more gooder than sparring with the Service Writer :) Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Is the key fob "with you" vs still in the car when you push the under bumper release button and it doesn't work? What about electronics or lots of keys or other metal in the same pocked as the key fob?

I never had a problem with my 15 or with my current 18.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
My ā€˜17 behaves same as OP. Iā€™ll have the keys in my pocket yet the bumper button wonā€™t work. Happens about 10% of the time. However, like most things in life Iā€™m fine with 90% success.

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
My ā€˜17 behaves same as OP. Iā€™ll have the keys in my pocket yet the bumper button wonā€™t work. Happens about 10% of the time. However, like most things in life Iā€™m fine with 90% success.
At least I'm not alone in this boat alone Bob. I think I'll be like you, and take 90% as a win.

Is the key fob "with you" vs still in the car when you push the under bumper release button and it doesn't work? What about electronics or lots of keys or other metal in the same pocked as the key fob?

I never had a problem with my 15 or with my current 18.
Dick, yes sir it's in my pocket all by itself. I'm gonna put a new battery in the FOB just for the heck of it, cheap enough and may help.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I would be surprised if it is the battery since my 15's were fine for all three years with lots of use. Good luck.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The exposed wires to the trunk lid get frayed on the 15-16 cars because theyā€™re too short.

Check yours and repair. If youā€™re under warranty a dealer can fix it for you. Trunk latch issues are not uncommon.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I believe that button doesn't work if the engine is running.

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
The exposed wires to the trunk lid get frayed on the 15-16 cars because theyā€™re too short.

Check yours and repair. If youā€™re under warranty a dealer can fix it for you. Trunk latch issues are not uncommon.
I will check that. Thanks for the tip

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE

Thjis is true, little quirky things start to happen like this, the camera goes intermittently inop, fob won't open the trunk, things like that as it get's worse. Dealer didn't have a good fix for it that I knew of and was a primary reason I unloaded the car 6 months early. AS I left the car the only way to open the trunk was the interior push button. I had to run a rope thru the trunk to the interior emergency release, just in case.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thjis is true, little quirky things start to happen like this, the camera goes intermittently inop, fob won't open the trunk, things like that as it get's worse. Dealer didn't have a good fix for it that I knew of and was a primary reason I unloaded the car 6 months early. AS I left the car the only way to open the trunk was the interior push button. I had to run a rope thru the trunk to the interior emergency release, just in case.
My dealer fixed it right up by splicing an extension into the harness. It wasn't their first car with the issue. No problems since then.

You got rid of the car for that?

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
My dealer fixed it right up by splicing an extension into the harness. It wasn't their first car with the issue. No problems since then.

Nightmare, I'm out of town right now, so I can't look at the wiring. But, can you tell me what I'll need to do to check them? IOW, do I need to remove anything to get too them? TIA.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Nightmare, I'm out of town right now, so I can't look at the wiring. But, can you tell me what I'll need to do to check them? IOW, do I need to remove anything to get too them? TIA.
Its the expose wire cluster / loom next to the right trunk hinge, you can't miss it. Just look for any signs of fraying, separation, or damage for starters. Its like a 95% chance that this is your problem tho.

I guess its possible that a wire inside could be pulled, I don't know for sure if damage will be visible from the outside. If your car is out of warranty, I'd probably still take it to a decent Ford service department and pay them fix it for you. They'll certainly know what to do.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I believe that button doesn't work if the engine is running.
That's what the trunk release button on the driver's side bolster is for (left side of steering column) :like:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE

Well not exactly but long road of many months funkin around with the wiring and all the trunk problems made it an easy choice when Chevy said they'd take the remaining 6 payments on the lease it was a sigh of relief. I had tons of problems with this particular (only) problem that Ford wouldn't/couldn't fix, so...
Sponsored