Sponsored

Why are so many for sale?

ssteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
big truck
I have been watching the market like a hawk, reading tons of posts here and just doing your average stuff that most of us obsessive car guys do while waiting to make a purchase. I have done this with my trucks(I'm a big fan of diesel truck), cts-v, vettes, m3's etc. I have never seen a car with fairly low production numbers flood the market like the gt350. Maybe its just me, or maybe its that the sports car market is more saturated with options the last few years since we now have the hellcat/s, zl1, various c7's etc that we didn't have just a few years ago?

Additionally anyone have experience with how carmax does their purchasing and what would your process be if you were to buy a used gt350 off a dealer? I see a lot of issues with these cars on the forum, like you do any forum since this is where people come to air their grievances and I just have a fear of purchasing a gt350 that's been a buy back(what hapens to buy backs and does the title reflect that?) or had a motor replaced etc.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
In my opinion, this car is definitely not for everyone. The GT350 doesn't cater to the usual muscle car crowd. It's more sports car than muscle car in the sense that it's a very high revving, naturally aspirated motor in a track capable chassis that leans more towards the Euro side than traditional American. Which is why traditional buyers of Porsche, Ferrari and BMW are buying this car.

I'm guessing most of the used cars are from owners who expect a very fast 0-60 car. You have to wring out this engine to get it's performance, whereas a muscle car like a Camaro or Corvette will have electric motor-like torque right off the line. Or they just want the next big thing, as indicated by their desire to either put force-induction on this car, or waiting for the GT500 and switching over. I don't mind as it basically weeds out the people who jumped on the hype train, or didn't know what they were buying. In the end, only true GT350 enthusiasts will remain.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
I love this car - on my second.

That being said, I have never had more issues with a brand new car in my life...both times. It is unbelievable. IMO, and in my experiences, the build quality is pretty shitty. Filter comes loose always, checking oil every fill up, body panels falling off, AC breaking consistently, suspension issues (consistently), awful stereo (personally I don't care about that), etc, etc.

Oh...and the tech pack of 2016...

All of that said, I love this car and plan on tracking it for years to come. Currently on Monday the install for Vorshlag Plates, Kooks headers and Xpipe go on and I already have the MGW shifter and a second set of daily driver wheels for the R.

I love it but very much understand why other people do not. Easy to get sold on the car, hard to stay in love with it, imo. Takes work that a lot of people aren't willing to do.

Prowl647

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Because they're crap and people are selling to get civic r and camaro zl1.

Seriously, it's probably because they want to off load the tech pack 2016s that had no coolers. I've been looking at CarMax too and notice it's mainly 16 techs there. There are a few 2017s but like any new car, maybe some new buyers weren't expecting such a raw beast.

I would not buy any performance car from CarMax. No preowned warranty and no support after you buy it from them

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
When I bought my LB 17' this May, there were only two LB's advertised in the state of Texas for sale. If it's flooding the market, it's a secret, apparently.

And, apparently I got lucky. My car has perfect paint and build quality.

Sponsored

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
knock on wood I have a 16 tech pack in shadow black my body work is great I have no panel issues, my voodoo dose not go through oil like others I have the JLT separators on it every 2 weeks I check them and maybe get 1/2 a teaspoon from both sides. I beat it too and from work every day and I can say 170 at the top of 5th can shorten the drive home.
The only way this car will leave my family is if
I die....(in it) or I get old and **** drive any more and my kids sell it

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
I love this car - on my second.

That being said, I have never had more issues with a brand new car in my life...both times. It is unbelievable. IMO, and in my experiences, the build quality is pretty shitty. Filter comes loose always, checking oil every fill up, body panels falling off, AC breaking consistently, suspension issues (consistently), awful stereo (personally I don't care about that), etc, etc.

Oh...and the tech pack of 2016...

All of that said, I love this car and plan on tracking it for years to come. Currently on Monday the install for Vorshlag Plates, Kooks headers and Xpipe go on and I already have the MGW shifter and a second set of daily driver wheels for the R.

I love it but very much understand why other people do not. Easy to get sold on the car, hard to stay in love with it, imo. Takes work that a lot of people aren't willing to do.

Fwiw my experience has been the exact opposite early on...only at 1400mi but no issues at all so far. Checking the oil is something that should be done on any car. If you think this car demands upkeep you should try a month with my 1970 Buick Skylark lol

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Easy answer, the car is not the it car any more regardless of how amazing it is. I am also on my second as I sold my track pack to buy an R.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Make sure the one you're looking at is not a "buy back"... seen a good few of those. And if a dealer couldn't fix whatever it was before a lemon law buyback then why could they fix it after the fact? Never will get that...

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Fwiw my experience has been the exact opposite early on...only at 1400mi but no issues at all so far. Checking the oil is something that should be done on any car. If you think this car demands upkeep you should try a month with my 1970 Buick Skylark lol
Haha. I am happy your experience is so solid man. I had 12k on my Tech Pack and I have almost 10k on my R.

I love it.

Have a '66 Mustang Coupe as well - that is some solid up keep as well. Driving the other day and the horn wire ripped apart and came through the Ididit steering column sparking all over the place burning up my leg. Funny stuff.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Because they're crap and people are selling to get civic r and camaro zl1.

Seriously, it's probably because they want to off load the tech pack 2016s that had no coolers. I've been looking at CarMax too and notice it's mainly 16 techs there. There are a few 2017s but like any new car, maybe some new buyers weren't expecting such a raw beast.

I would not buy any performance car from CarMax. No preowned warranty and no support after you buy it from them
well there were also just more Tech Pack cars made. Like...a lot more than Track Pack cars.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I'm not sure I'd agree that they a flooding the market, but I would agree that some aspects may be more raw than many are willing to deal with these days.

The engine vibrates quite a bit, which will highlight any rattles or buzzes in the car.

The car can be a little noisy from tires and wind.

My car burns enough oil that one needs to keep on top of it. I have catch cans that need to be emptied as well.

I got 20,000 miles out of my tires, which I think is pretty good for this type of car, but who knows what others expect.

In the end it is a cheap car with an expensive engine and transmission, and that cheapness shows if you look for it.

If you care about such things, maybe an Audi RS3 or BMW M2 would be a better choice.

I personally love the GT350, but also understand that others may find it half-baked in some ways. I would have a difficult time recommending it without having the other person spend some time in one.

It actually is a very comfortable cruiser, is excellent at the track, and is fun even in heavy traffic because it sounds so damn good, but it probably isn't for everyone.

-T

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Haha. I am happy your experience is so solid man. I had 12k on my Tech Pack and I have almost 10k on my R.

I love it.

Have a '66 Mustang Coupe as well - that is some solid up keep as well. Driving the other day and the horn wire ripped apart and came through the Ididit steering column sparking all over the place burning up my leg. Funny stuff.
Yeah and I hate that you and others here have had issues...only reason I posted is to share the positive experience too tho.

Oh man that's a good one! I took some ribbing from old heads at work bc one time when I was messing around with my battery in the old beast my ratchet got stuck against the chassis while I was removing the positive terminal...insulation on wires caught on fire, sparks everywhere was not pretty lol. Some mistakes you only make once on the old cars. :headbonk:

TonyJ5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Mines not!
Sponsored