Sponsored

My STUPID move for the day...Any Fuel tank/filler neck experience ?

Dadsreward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
Not sure where else to put this since there isn't a fuel system of dumbass forum...

I wasn't paying attention today when I filled up my ecoboost and put 85 octane in it, am use to being in my truck. I realized it after I got home (about 2 miles). So I got the great idea I'd siphon it out and use it in my truck:headbonk:. Long story short I got the piece of garden hose stuck in the filler neck. I'd estimate about 2 feet. I will NOT come out and now with much pulling and rotating and bending it has snapped of at the filler cap:frusty:.
I would sure like to avoid a trip to the dealer of at all possible. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have a friend with a lift/body shop so may give it a shot.
I suspect there is some type of flapper as the neck goes into the tank that it's stuck on but don't see one on the parts breakout diagram.

Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
where is there 85 octane in florida? oh and just fyi, you could have driven the car with no issues if you just stayed out of boost. would take a little while to go thru a tank but its not like you put diesel fuel in there...

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You could have driven that, just take it easy. Computer would have adjusted and you probably would have went through that tank pretty quickly. Could also have put octane boost in there to play it a little safer. Not sure I trust that jet fuel stuff, but... it literally cleaned out the engine and exhaust pipes of my Harley when I used it (dunno why).

Remove wheel, go under car. Can't you see the fuel filler piping? I thought I remembered that I could when I was under there. Maybe not. Wonder if you can just unbolt it and get in there?

Nothing wrong with a tail-between-the-legs trip to the dealer. Except money.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Not sure where else to put this since there isn't a fuel system of dumbass forum...

I wasn't paying attention today when I filled up my ecoboost and put 85 octane in it, am use to being in my truck. I realized it after I got home (about 2 miles). So I got the great idea I'd siphon it out and use it in my truck:headbonk:. Long story short I got the piece of garden hose stuck in the filler neck. I'd estimate about 2 feet. I will NOT come out and now with much pulling and rotating and bending it has snapped of at the filler cap:frusty:.
I would sure like to avoid a trip to the dealer of at all possible. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have a friend with a lift/body shop so may give it a shot.
I suspect there is some type of flapper as the neck goes into the tank that it's stuck on but don't see one on the parts breakout diagram.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Can you stick a screw driver down the hole to open up the flaps?
What's happening is the flaps are spring loaded and your hoses are catching on them.
Also try feeding one end of the hose through the funnel in the truck and push the funnel all the way into the gas cap to release the flaps.
Hope the hose you are using is not too big.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)

This has all the makings of one of those situations where you should probably just stop now while you're ahead because every subsequent idea is just going to be dumber than the previous one and you might really screw something up.

If you insist on a DIY.......IIRC can the gas tanks be accessed from the back-seat area? I'm not sure of the exact design but the senders/pumps are located under the rear seats. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-gt-tech/951842-rear-seat-delete-what.html Check this out for a few pictures. If you take that stuff off you might be able to get at the piece of pipe and siphon out the gas (just...be careful).

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I do not recommend trying to retrieve the hose yourself. You are talking about working in an area with heavy gas fumes, which are explosive. One spark, and you have a serious incident. It is not worth the risk. Ask any firefighter. This is one where you bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. They will drain the tank, and then remove the the parts necessary to get the hose out.

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Gonna cost some money to get it out. I could not get gas out of my 2010 5.3 Colorado when i had it. Never tried to stick a hose in my 2013 RAM R/T or my GT. I think all the newer cars - trucks are made to were the old hose trick won't work.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
A perfectly straight piece of wire (coat hanger) passed through to hold the doors open might do the trick. Even better, a stick of flat silver solder if you can get one about 18" long.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Can you stick a screw driver down the hole to open up the flaps?
What's happening is the flaps are spring loaded and your hoses are catching on them.
Also try feeding one end of the hose through the funnel in the truck and push the funnel all the way into the gas cap to release the flaps.
Hope the hose you are using is not too big.
Don't have this man sticking more shit down his gas tank. By the time they open it up it will look like he has a full service shop in there.

"how did this hydraulic lift get in here?.... welll what had happened wasssssss"

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Another crazy idea......

Spray the hose (outside of it) down real good with a lubricant. Use a can with the straw so you can get behind the first door. Might slip right out after that. WD-40, Liquid wrench, PB Blaster, etc. Just use a solvent/petroleum based lubricant.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Another crazy idea......

Spray the hose (outside of it) down real good with a lubricant. Use a can with the straw so you can get behind the first door. Might slip right out after that. WD-40, Liquid wrench, PB Blaster, etc. Just use a solvent/petroleum based lubricant.
And you want all that lubricant in your fuel tank ?
Sponsored