Any particular bedding in procedure?

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
Going to collect my new Gt tomorrow:D, wondered if there is any sort of bedding in process for first 1k miles or so and if any oil change required?
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Going to leave the advice to those that know better but I'll just drop these >> congrats << here and wish you better weather than we've got at present :thumbsup:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] has his own way

Most others just avoid going into high RPM for the first 1k.

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Congrats ! Try not to crash it :D

Seriously, take it easy until your used to the characteristics. They can bite !

Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Once the oil was warm, my car was ragged from day one.

Modern NA petrol engines do not require running in.

OP
OP
Leeroy

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
:confused:

Going to leave the advice to those that know better but I'll just drop these >> congrats << here and wish you better weather than we've got at present :thumbsup:
:cheers:

[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] has his own way

Most others just avoid going into high RPM for the first 1k.
That makes sense and was pretty much what i was planning to do anyway...bit of mechanical sympathy:amen:

Congrats ! Try not to crash it :D

Seriously, take it easy until your used to the characteristics. They can bite !
:thumbsup:

Once the oil was warm, my car was ragged from day one.

Modern NA petrol engines do not require running in.
I know they don't need running in as such, just thinking a bit of care was in order until things loosen up a bit:)

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I'm old school when it comes to new engines, I don't care that they don't need running in, or that synthetic oils last forever....

1st 150-200 miles, took it easy, no more than 2500 rpm, no sitting at a constant speed, avoided motorway, so that gearbox got plenty of up and down changes

From 200 to 500 miles up to 4000 rpm but again as above, avoid constant speed.

500 to 1500 drove it completely normally, but used max RPM many times, and considered the car to be run in

1500 oil change

5000 oil change:)

Other old foggies may have differing methods, but the last new car I owned, did 200k and was still running strong when I sold it.:D

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I'm old school when it comes to new engines, I don't care that they don't need running in, or that synthetic oils last forever....

1st 150-200 miles, took it easy, no more than 2500 rpm, no sitting at a constant speed, avoided motorway, so that gearbox got plenty of up and down changes

From 200 to 500 miles up to 4000 rpm but again as above, avoid constant speed.

500 to 1500 drove it completely normally, but used max RPM many times, and considered the car to be run in

1500 oil change

5000 oil change:)

Other old foggies may have differing methods, but the last new car I owned, did 200k and was still running strong when I sold it.:D
I agree. Remember my old BMW had running in instructions like max speed (ie 155mph) for no longer than 10 minutes for the first 1500 miles :lol:

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

My method:

Drive from dealership, once engine fully warm (oil upto full temp), 50% throttle in 2nd gear from 1000rpm right upto 6500rpm, then let of the throttle 100% until back to 1000rpm through purely engine breaking.

This seats the valve seals and will mean your car will use no oil pretty much ever, so far has worked out for me until it dumped all the oil on the floor but thats unrelated and another story haha.

I then did Enoch's approach a lot of varying revs/speed and no constant cruising for first 500 miles and then an early oil and filter change at 1000 miles.

stiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 V8 Manual Fastback, DIB
For me (having built and raced umpteen engines), oil up to temp and gentle throttle up to about 6500rpm for the ist 1k miles. Then oil change and drive it like you
stole it.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Hi there

My method:

Drive from dealership, once engine fully warm (oil upto full temp), 50% throttle in 2nd gear from 1000rpm right upto 6500rpm, then let of the throttle 100% until back to 1000rpm through purely engine breaking.

This seats the valve seals and will mean your car will use no oil pretty much ever, so far has worked out for me until it dumped all the oil on the floor but thats unrelated and another story haha.

I then did Enoch's approach a lot of varying revs/speed and no constant cruising for first 500 miles and then an early oil and filter change at 1000 miles.
All very well assuming that, during the probable 15-20 times (at least) that the car gets cold started by the numerous low paid numptees on it's journey from the factory floor in the USA to the dealer in the UK via numerous modes of transport, holding areas and not to mention Zeebrugge, no one rags the shit out of it!

Most cars seem to arrive with an average of about 15 miles having been put on them already courtesy of countless faceless individuals who don't give a rats arse about seating the valve seals on a car they'll never see or drive again, yet alone have any responsibility for!

Tom.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
GT
Going to collect my new Gt tomorrow:D, wondered if there is any sort of bedding in process for first 1k miles or so and if any oil change required?
Good Luck with collection today [MENTION=24130]Leeroy[/MENTION]! Enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
I thought I remember reading a thread on here stating how important driving the engine hard (once warm) early in it's life helped better seat the piston rings and the cylinder walls which actually help engine longevity and help maintain compression later in life. If I recall correctly they even posted a link with testing to back up the recommendation.
Sponsored